OSBI To Update List of States

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I contacted the OSBI Office via email and land line and this morning got a phone call from them. I explained the bad press they were getting about not having their site updated. (read it right here on your Forum) I sent them the info for the states they don't have listed that honor an OK Permit/License and they assured me they would add them ASAP. They have to check with official sources in the states they don't have listed to be sure.

I check in on your board every week or so. Well I try to check in every week or so. When you get older time flies. But saw the bad press that OSBI was getting for not updating their site and just told them their PR was not in good shape because they were not updating their site. Talked real nice and I hope this does the trick. I think it will. They should add West Virginia, Nebraska and Minnesota to the list of states that honor an OK Permit/License. I figure most people who post here knew that but many people don't post on boards and just look at the official site. This will help them.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was under the impression that OSBI only listed states that had a formal agreement with Oklahoma...as in correspondence between AG offices...not every state that technically/legislatively recognizes our permits.

Gary Slider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. OK honors every other states permit. The listing is just states that honor an OK permit. KS, NV, NE and MN for example don't sign agreements. They just list states that have similar or more stringent laws than theirs that they will honor. Other states must have a signed agreement. WV, WA & PA are examples of states that have to have a formal agreement.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. OK honors every other states permit. The listing is just states that honor an OK permit. KS, NV, NE and MN for example don't sign agreements. They just list states that have similar or more stringent laws than theirs that they will honor. Other states must have a signed agreement. WV, WA & PA are examples of states that have to have a formal agreement.

I know we honor every other state's permits, my point is that the OSBI is only publishing the list of states that they confirm honor Oklahoma's permits...and many times the confirmation comes from official correspondence between the states.

OSBI probably has better things to do than search through every other state's concealed carry legislation to determine if they honor our permit. I'd venture to say it's not their job...it's the licensed citizen's job.

But thanks for doing some leg work for us...

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know we honor every other state's permits, my point is that the OSBI is only publishing the list of states that they confirm honor Oklahoma's permits...and many times the confirmation comes from official correspondence between the states.

OSBI probably has better things to do than search through every other state's concealed carry legislation to determine if they honor our permit. I'd venture to say it's not their job...it's the licensed citizen's job.

But thanks for doing some leg work for us...

Since carrying without a valid permit is a felony in Oklahoma, I'd be much more comfortable with an official list endorsed by the AG than "do your own research and figure it out, bub."

By my reading of the law Oklahoma honors permits from any state who honors Oklahoma permits, formal agreement or not. I'd still be more comfortable with an official list though.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Again, 'the list' isn't about what permits Oklahoma recognizes, but what states recognize OK permits. The list as it is, is a courtesy with disclaimer to verify on your own before you travel on an Ok permit.

If you live in Oklahoma and choose to carry on another state's permit, why should OSBI, the office responsible for the OKLAHOMA self defense act, be responsible for telling you what other permits are honored?

Folks like to ***** about OSBI dragging their feet on permit applications...but then demand they do research that is not in their mandate?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In past years (this one too) I've sent OSBI the necessary links to other state's AG site, State Police site, etc to allow them to update the Oklahoma OSBI site. Sometimes they update; sometimes they don't. Other individuals in this thread have done the same.

It is not an onerous, time-consumptive effort for OSBI to keep a reasonably current "states that recognize OK permit" site. All they would need to do is spend an hour or two, perhaps once a month to keep things verified and up to date.

I advise my students always to do their own research into whether their OK permit will be accepted when they go traveling out of state.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since carrying without a valid permit is a felony in Oklahoma, I'd be much more comfortable with an official list endorsed by the AG than "do your own research and figure it out, bub."

Don't know where you got that idea, but it is not true!

TITLE 21 § 1272. Unlawful carry

UNLAWFUL CARRY

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry upon or about his or her person, or in a purse or other container
belonging to the person, any pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle whether loaded or unloaded or any dagger,
bowie knife, dirk knife, switchblade knife, spring-type knife, sword cane, knife having a blade which opens
automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring, or other device in the handle of the knife,
blackjack, loaded cane, billy, hand chain, metal knuckles, or any other offensive weapon, whether such
weapon be concealed or unconcealed, except this section shall not prohibit:

1. The proper use of guns and knives for hunting, fishing, educational or recreational purposes;

2. The carrying or use of weapons in a manner otherwise permitted by statute or authorized by the
Oklahoma Self-Defense Act;

3. The carrying, possession and use of any weapon by a peace officer or other person authorized by law
to carry a weapon in the performance of official duties and in compliance with the rules of the
employing agency;

4. The carrying or use of weapons in a courthouse by a district judge, associate district judge or special
district judge within this state, who is in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued
pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act and whose name appears on a list
maintained by the Administrative Director or the Courts; or

5. The carrying and use of firearms and other weapons provided in this subsection when used for the
purpose of living history reenactment. For purposes of this paragraph, living history reenactment
means depiction of historical characters, scenes, historical life or events for entertainment, education,
or historical documentation through the wearing or use of period, historical, antique or vintage
clothing, accessories, firearms, weapons, and other implements of the historical period.

B. Any person convicted of violating the foregoing provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as
provided in Section 1276 of this title.

Latest posts

Top Bottom