Outrage erupts after Wisconsin Guard member posts photo online

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Outrage erupted across social media Monday after a member of the Wisconsin Army National Guard posted a photo on Instagram that appeared to make light of funerals for fallen service members, according to The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

The paper reports the photo depicts a group of soldiers, most smiling or in comedic poses, around a coffin draped with an American flag. The caption accompanying the photo says: "We put the FUN in funeral your fearless honor guard from various states."

People began posting screenshots and comments on the photo on the Wisconsin Army National Guard's Facebook page, prompting Guard officials to begin looking into the matter late Monday afternoon, according to Maj. Paul D. Rickert.

http://newsok.com/outrage-erupts-after-wisconsin-guard-member-posts-photo-online/article/3934890

i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_GuardFuneral_zpsca5f7e75.jpg

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if this is real its disgusting. I have been to several veteran funerals and the honor guards were always the most reverent, respect filled people I've ever seen.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't even imagine how one person thought that would be a good idea, let alone the whole group. A military funeral isn't the place for fun...it's for respect, remembrance, honor and a lot of other things but fun isn't one of them.

Those soldiers need a class in humility and a giant attitude adjustment. I don't think they were intentionally making a mockery of the funerals, I just think they need a little reminder of what these ceremonies mean to families and friends.

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I read elsewhere, it was an empty casket and they were merely "practicing." Not sure how the photo got out or why, but it is very distasteful.

This is correct. That casket contains sand bags and is used as a training aid. That was likely a class photo at the training facility in Arkansas. The posing was inappropriate, but the comment was really what was bad, in my opinion.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cant tell from the pic, but every rank I can see are spec4's, except maybe the dude on the left front. Congratulations dipshits, you get to make PFC again.

This. I'd just about guarantee it happens too (and it should). I believe this falls under the heading "play stupid games, win stupid prizes".

Strange that this being a guard unit - I'd expect most of the folks in this pic to have been deployed at least once.

Latest posts

Top Bottom