P22QD ammo issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, the P22 is known to be picky on the ammo. I picked up mine from Security Centers Inc last weekend and got a 300 rd box of CCI/Speer Tactical 40gr and it shot without a single issue. Did 200 rds on Sunday and finished the box today. Yesterday I picked up a 325 rd box of Federal Automatic Target grade bulk and used it after the last 100 of the CCI. Had problems with every mag. Mostly FTE but had one FTF.

Anyone else have a P22 that can recommend ammo? I know of course the CCI mini's, but I was thinking about trying the Blazer brand. Its 2.49 per 50 rd box at Academy (thats $15 for 300, about half what I paid for the CCI Tactical).

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just stick with the CCI MINI MAGS, never had a problem with it.
I hsd rather pay a little more for the mini and have reliability than shoor the cheaper stuff and hope it works and get agervated when it doesn't.
If it ant broke dont fix it.
JMO.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, and it would still be cheaper than the Tactical that I got (by about 3 bucks). Just looking for more economical ammo. Guess I'll have to buy a few small packages and see what runs and what stutters.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I bought the P22, the gun shop employee told me to break it in with 600 rounds of mini mags before I shoot other ammo in it or I’ll have a bunch of jams. I did what he said and first 600 rounds fired were cci mini mags. I’ve shot all kinds of ammo in it since and as long as I keep it somewhat clean it runs fine, as fine as a rimfire can.My suppressor really gets it dirty, I think I can get to about 200 rounds before it starts to jam after every round with suppressor use.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will have to try that. Like I said, the Mini's will still be cheaper than the Tactical. I'll hold on to these Federal and try them out again after a few hundred more rounds of known good stuff.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know, and it would still be cheaper than the Tactical that I got (by about 3 bucks). Just looking for more economical ammo. Guess I'll have to buy a few small packages and see what runs and what stutters.

This. I agree that running CCI Mini Mags will (should) give you god performance, but it would be good to know what else the gun runs well with for those times you can’t readily get the Mini Mags. Try CCI Standard Velocity and give Aquila a shot too. Was at Academy in Yukon last night, and they had a plethora of .22 Ammo. Scarf up a few different selections and go for it. Keep track of what rounds and in which mag so you can narrow it down to figure out your best choices. And have fun while staying safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes to all of that. Truth be honest, I have a small bit of buyers remorse with my QD after seeing how well the SR22 eats ammo. But the price point at the time was what I liked. The good thing is this is teaching me to detect when it was a FTE vs FTF error. Everything has a lesson if you pay attention.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, bought 3 boxes of Blazer 22 (all they had left) and a 100 rd box of Mini-Mags. Shot the entire box of mini-mags and around 70 rds of the Blazer, not a single failure out of any of them. Tried about 40 rds of the Federal, out of 4 mags only one ran through without a problem. The other three had 1 FTF and multiple FTE. So I guess my P22 just doesn't like that ammo. A friend came out and we ran about 50 rounds of it through his 15-22 and not a single mishap. Well, at least I can run the Blazer, just have to buy it in 50 rd increments lol.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, bought 3 boxes of Blazer 22 (all they had left) and a 100 rd box of Mini-Mags. Shot the entire box of mini-mags and around 70 rds of the Blazer, not a single failure out of any of them. Tried about 40 rds of the Federal, out of 4 mags only one ran through without a problem. The other three had 1 FTF and multiple FTE. So I guess my P22 just doesn't like that ammo. A friend came out and we ran about 50 rounds of it through his 15-22 and not a single mishap. Well, at least I can run the Blazer, just have to buy it in 50 rd increments lol.

Here: Blazer .22lr @ SGAMMO - 500 and 5000 round lots.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-l...r-40-grain-lead-solid-high-velocity-ammo-0021

https://www.sgammo.com/product/22-l...r-40-grain-lead-solid-high-velocity-ammo-0021

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve had my p22 for years and have mainly fed it cheap ass Remington Golden Bullets, bulk pack. Other than the occasional dud that they are famous for, the pistol has not missed a lick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom