PA Women Arrested in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
No, what I said doesn't mean we abolish all State laws - it means that there are concurrent Federal and State jurisdictions on certain matters and that even if a State no longer has a legal penalty for some act, as long as it is a matter of at least concurrent Federal jurisdiction, then the Federal laws can be enforced - with or without any State action and not just on Federal property. The income tax analogy fits very well - even if your State has no income tax the Federal tax is still collected. Likewise, even if your State has no law on a specific subject (like drug possession) IF there is a valid Federal law then it can be enforced anywhere.

I guess it's a good thing I said it was legal on the State level and not the federal level.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
You also said "Stay off Federal land and purchase all you want..." not necessarily true and might, might, get you in trouble, particularly if you reach Federal trafficking levels.

My comment on the federal land was based on researching the laws regarding where you can consume and possess in Colorado. And for the love of God, my comment on purchase all you want was in regards to the daily limits allowed by law. I swear you must give yourself a headache over thinking crap.

Please be aware that your right to possess marijuana in Colorado does not apply when you are visiting national parks, national forests or monuments, or other federal properties such as courthouses. Also be aware that many ski areas are located on federal land (mainly just the actual ski runs, not the towns or base of the mountain).

A recent review of federal court data by the AP showed that in 2013 through July, at least 135 people were cited for marijuana possession on federal land in Colorado. Although many of the federal park rangers are nice, I've met plenty that would like nothing more than to ruin your vacation...the numbers above speak the truth. Make sure you take the necessary precautions.

Possession of marijuana on federal land is punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of $1,000 on the first offense, along with a 15-day mandatory sentence that can be extended to two years in prison for a second offense. After that, perpetrators can receive a 90-day to three-year prison term, and a $5,000 fine.

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lurker, don't try and argue with a guy on federal retirement.

Ted Roosevelt repealed prohibition of alcohol and prohibited the evil crazy marijuana. Anyone seen reefer madness.
He was in the back pocket of big alcohol. Don't get me wrong, I like a drink now and again.

Don't get me started on mugly's income tax rebuttal. We did okay before that and the gov grew huge.

State rights went out the window a long time ago

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is how it all starts. First it is a gun. Next thing you know, you move on to a Big Gulp.

I wish her luck. One more reason to stay away from places like NJ.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if NJ officials want Mexico to keep Sgt. Andrew Tahmooressi in jail.

They could care less about him. I do hope they both get off of course. I also think you should damn well be aware of where you are at any given time though.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your analogy makes no sense. It is legal to purchase MJ in the State of Colorado. Going off your thinking, we should just abolish all State .govs and just fall under Federal jurisdiction for all local laws.

Stay off Federal land and you can smoke and purchase all you want because the Colorado .gov has said it is legal to do so.

I don't know where you got your law degree, but they owe you a refund.

Federal law prohibits possession or use of marijuana. That applies everywhere, not just on federal land. Is the FBI/DEA likely to pursue you for a single joint? Probably not, but that's not the same as saying they can't. They'll be perfectly happy to bust you for pot you grow on your own property and smoke in your own home, without ever engaging in any sort of commerce, or even letting it leave your property, if it suits their purposes. See, e.g., Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005).

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where you got your law degree, but they owe you a refund.

Federal law prohibits possession or use of marijuana. That applies everywhere, not just on federal land. Is the FBI/DEA likely to pursue you for a single joint? Probably not, but that's not the same as saying they can't. They'll be perfectly happy to bust you for pot you grow on your own property and smoke in your own home, without ever engaging in any sort of commerce, or even letting it leave your property, if it suits their purposes. See, e.g., Gonzales v. Raich, 545 U.S. 1 (2005).

It still amazes me how people make comments without a simple understanding of what was said. Not once did I say it was legal on a Federal level to grow or buy marijuana. You should really read through the entire thread or at the very least, get some grasp of the conversation before typing redundant comments that do not apply.

Latest posts

Top Bottom