Palmetto State Armory - AR15 with optics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Smith is a nice rifle and that is a excellent price. It also has no sights, and a really nice set of irons can get the price right up there with the PSA gun. If the op wants the same optic it's going to end up over a hundred bucks more.

If the PSA rifle is what the op is looking for it's an ok deal, and he would most likely be happy with it.

46and2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like I just have quite a bit more research to do. I know I am glad I posted here first to get some other opinions. Thank you all very much!

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Smith is a nice rifle and that is a excellent price. It also has no sights, and a really nice set of irons can get the price right up there with the PSA gun. If the op wants the same optic it's going to end up over a hundred bucks more.

If the PSA rifle is what the op is looking for it's an ok deal, and he would most likely be happy with it.

This is correct. The S&W with an Eotech 512 would run $1199 out the door.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PSA offers 4 different types of bolt carrier groups, the heart of the rifle. That's what makes an apples to apples comparison tough.

They have an 8620 BCG, a Carpenter 158 BCG with no NDT testing, "Premium" Carpenter 158 BCG, with accompanying NDT testing, and a M16 style BCG. Their premium BCG has the same specs as a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense. They might even be manufactured by the same company. I don't know.

I have built several rifles with their parts. All have been more than satisfactory. I would just recommend the Premium or M16 style BCG.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd say the PSA package deal with optics is about the best deal going for an out of the box rifle. It is the same price as a Colt costs without an optic and is built to all the same specs as a Colt -- CL 1/7 MP/HPT barrel made by FN, C158 HPT/MPI bolt with staked gas key and grade 8 fasteners, 7075 upper and lower, staked castle nut on the buffer tube, etc... it is basically as close to a mil spec rifle as you can get in a semi auto non-NFA setup.

I would also prefer a mid-length gas system and a pencil profile barrel over gov't-profile, but those things matter less than the specs and materials in the barrel and bolt, which are the two most important components of the rifle reliability-wise. The PSA is solid on those things.

I have built three PSA rifles, and am very satisfied. They are definitely the best deal going on full mil spec ARs. My Dad and I both have one, and they have been very reliable for us.

I would get the one with the Aimpoint, mostly because of battery life. The PRO has a great reputation.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is correct. The S&W with an Eotech 512 would run $1199 out the door.

After shipping and transfer, the difference would then be less than a hundred dollars. More like 60 or 70, maybe less. Plus he could have it now, which could be worth something. On the subject of sights, btw, the PSA rifle has a fixed front, while the Smith has a railed gas block. Don't know about the OP's preference, but mine would be for the gas block and then add a folding front, later if finances made me have to wait.

Being an instant gratification sort myself, if in this situation I'd probably drive to FBT.

Just throwing my previous post out there so the the OP would be aware.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PSA offers 4 different types of bolt carrier groups, the heart of the rifle. That's what makes an apples to apples comparison tough.

They have an 8620 BCG, a Carpenter 158 BCG with no NDT testing, "Premium" Carpenter 158 BCG, with accompanying NDT testing, and a M16 style BCG. Their premium BCG has the same specs as a Bravo Company or Daniel Defense. They might even be manufactured by the same company. I don't know.

I have built several rifles with their parts. All have been more than satisfactory. I would just recommend the Premium or M16 style BCG.

I'd say the PSA package deal with optics is about the best deal going for an out of the box rifle. It is the same price as a Colt costs without an optic and is built to all the same specs as a Colt -- CL 1/7 MP/HPT barrel made by FN, C158 HPT/MPI bolt with staked gas key and grade 8 fasteners, 7075 upper and lower, staked castle nut on the buffer tube, etc... it is basically as close to a mil spec rifle as you can get in a semi auto non-NFA setup.

I would also prefer a mid-length gas system and a pencil profile barrel over gov't-profile, but those things matter less than the specs and materials in the barrel and bolt, which are the two most important components of the rifle reliability-wise. The PSA is solid on those things.

I have built three PSA rifles, and am very satisfied. They are definitely the best deal going on full mil spec ARs. My Dad and I both have one, and they have been very reliable for us.

I would get the one with the Aimpoint, mostly because of battery life. The PRO has a great reputation.

Examples of good research and knowledge and worth repeating.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
btw, the PSA rifle has a fixed front, while the Smith has a railed gas block. Don't know about the OP's preference, but mine would be for the gas block and then add a folding front, later if finances made me have to wait.

I like a good taper pinned GI front sight over a clamp-on or set screwed one like the railed gas blocks are. They are stronger, and never have gotten in the way for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom