Pawnee Winter Run n' Gun - 2016

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueandCold

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've hit the rams with my Mini - wouldn't knock most of them over. (some have bent/damaged feet, and barely stay up- it'll knock those down)

Hensch and I finished getting the ranges ready for the Run N Gun yesterday. It looks like a good course, and it looks like the weather is gonna suit me just fine. Anyone that really wants snow should move up north.

For what it's worth.....Hensch and I were both shooting pretty well at 500 with four different rifles the last few weeks. The wind was pretty crazy yesterday and we couldn't hardly buy a 500 yard hit with the 5.56. (55 grain fmj)

Thanks for the info. I guess I am a little surprised that the Rams wouldn't fall, but I guess I was hitting them after all.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Ted! Are we gonna be able to use a bipod or some kinda rest with our old military bolt guns? (at the 500 yd stage) My old bones don't hold very steady in prone, even with a sling. Randall

I'm going plain old prone unsupported with my Mauser...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure the same log that has been at the 500 yard stage for every Pawnee run n gun thus far will be there this time. Its only about 6 or 8 inches thick at the most, though. Some shooters have used it in the past, most do not.

Matt in TN

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Matt, serious qestion... will you guys be sporting Team FAL shirts or hats?

That was the plan, although getting all these guys to color-coordinate is like, well, getting a bunch of FAL guys to color-coordinate. We all should be wearing some sort of FAL shirt and/or hat. Please do introduce yourself (again?) - I'll be wearing an A-TACS hat with an "It's FN Awesome" patch on it and probably a shirt from the Georgia FAL Match.

And carrying an awesome battle rifle. :-)

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember, a bipod doesn't help you read or compensate for the wind any better. That is the toughest thing about the 500 yard shot IMO. Other than that it's just knowing your dope and shooting inside of 4 MOA. I honestly don't feel like a bipod would help me any... I can hold tighter than my ammo will shoot from prone with a sling. Also keep in mind the firing position is on a slight downward slope that makes it awkward to monopod on a 30 rounder, if that's the technique you're planning on using. MauserAl, we're saying "as issued" for the mil surp challenge, so a bipod stud would be out. Shooting sticks are always an option though.

I'm gonna stick with my 55 grain. It's a software problem, not a hardware one. But after this case is shot up, I'm gonna break out the 77 grain Nosler Partitions and play with some hand loads.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Ted! Are we gonna be able to use a bipod or some kinda rest with our old military bolt guns? (at the 500 yd stage) My old bones don't hold very steady in prone, even with a sling. Randall

Like Hensch said - as-issued bolt gun, but shooting sticks or whatever you want to carry is fine.

shakyhand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please do introduce yourself (again?) - I'll be wearing an A-TACS hat with an "It's FN Awesome" patch on it and probably a shirt from the Florida Georgia Line Concert.

And carrying an awesome battle rifle. :-)

Thanks for the desciption I had was just planned on watching for a Yellow Prius with TN plates.

Side note for those guys that don't shoot very often or recently added attachments to your gear, I would go back and make sure those scope, red dots and sling mounts are tightened. It sucks to have gear falling off at the range, and sucks even more to have gear falling off during a match. I am sure majority of you guys put everything on with a torque wrench and lock tight. Occasionally things get added with a "I will snug it up later thought" I just wanted to throw out a last minute reminder. I always carry several zip ties, plastic buckles always seem to break at an inconvenient time.

Guys that post on here please (re)introduce yourself, also any body that has any question don't hesitate to ask, my name is Corey I will be an RO on Saturday, I have a shaved head, larger than normal ears, I am 5'10 ca. 220 lbs stocky muscular build, I normally have a grin like I am up to something. If this is your first or fifth match feel free to ask stage or gear questions. Majority of guys here are all extremely knowledgable people, all need to do is ask if you have a question.

My first piece of advice for those that have not competed before is make every shot count. If you start missing relax lower the weapon take a breath and start again, most people will have more stage time than ammo.

Just my two cents

Latest posts

Top Bottom