Pecan Rye Whiskey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Yea but some of the old timers really liked it. I like some bourbon, Canadian or Irish whiskey. I can not drink much any more but would love a small bottle of good whiskey for an occasional shot.
GOOD whisky you dont shoot. Shooting is for the cheap stuff that ya just want a buzz on. Served neat for sippin on is for that top shelf stuff that has a good flavor.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GOOD whisky you dont shoot. Shooting is for the cheap stuff that ya just want a buzz on. Served neat for sippin on is for that top shelf stuff that has a good flavor.

I sip from a shot glass. Diabetic and can not drink much. Shot glass, if I even still have one, is a good measure.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yea but some of the old timers really liked it. I like some bourbon, Canadian or Irish whiskey. I can not drink much any more but would love a small bottle of good whiskey for an occasional shot.
If you don't want to spend much but would like a decent sipping bourbon I highly recommend Evan Williams white label Bottled In Bond. I picked a litre at Byron's for $15 and some change.
EW_BIB_StraightOn_750ml-358x1024.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sippin whisky is Bushmills Black Bush or my favorite which is Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. The nectar of the Gods. Don't get it often, but it's a must have at Elk Camp.

Back to the OP. We were at a campground around a fire in Colorado last year when a bottle of pecan whisky was brought out. Holy crap that was good straight up. For the life of me, I can't remember the name but will reach out to those that were there.
We have tried a couple of other brands that tasted like pancake syrup. Nasty.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seeing as we were talking about some rye whiskey, Jack Daniel’s rye 90 proof and Wild Turkey 101 rye. For me they are good sipping whiskeys and go good in an Old Fashion. Im not a liquor snob. My personal wet bar has over 40 bottles in it. I like selections. Most of it is rum though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Manhattans. Classic cocktail but it must have rye whisky to be correct. Unfortunately a lot of bartenders don't know what rye whisky is.
The same bartenders don't have a clue what an old fashioned is either.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Manhattans. Classic cocktail but it must have rye whisky to be correct. Unfortunately a lot of bartenders don't know what rye whisky is.
The same bartenders don't have a clue what an old fashioned is either.
Speaking of Old Fashioned, we were at the "Top of the Rock" around Branson Missouri last year.
Went into the bar/restaurant at the top wanting a cocktail and a snack.
The bartender said he had the best Old Fashion ever. I bit and said make me one.
It was smoked but his was different from the rest of smoked old fashioned that is popular. He rolled the whisky around in the glass, lit the smoker, rolled it around, and added a few drops of whisky, rolled it in the smoke a few more times, and then served it.
Holy crap that was an intense cocktail. Well worth the price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom