Pelicans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember fishing out of a kayak in Southern California. Was holding a styrofoam tray of squid and mackerel between my legs that I was using for bait. Ended up having to go hand to hand with a pelican for that bait once he found out I had his lunch.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I remember fishing out of a kayak in Southern California. Was holding a styrofoam tray of squid and mackerel between my legs that I was using for bait. Ended up having to go hand to hand with a pelican for that bait once he found out I had his lunch.
Did the pelican get your bait, or did you head to shore, start a fire and have pelican for a snack?

Taste like chicken?

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was fishing a bass tournament in South Texas a few years ago and had one of em do a low altitude bowel evacuation that caught my bass boat almost dead on from stem to stern......... the most awful smell I've ever had to deal with. Took about $30.00 at the nearest car wash and people walking by the boat 2 days later would wrinkle their face up and say what the hell is that smell. Never did get all out of the smell out of the boat.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Almost had him some Southern Cal oysters too.😮

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not legal to hunt.
That being said I worked with crusty old guy that was probably one of the best outdoorsmen I've ever ran across. Learned a lot from that guy but one thing he told me was a story about a pelican that stuck with me over the years.
We worked together at a power plant but on occasion he would travel to one of the others in the fleet to help with overhauls. He was at one of the OKC power plants with a lake surrounding the plant. He said a pelican flew into some power lines and was killed.
Said he was always curious about the internal organs of every animal he had taken so decided to do an autopsy on the pelican.
He said once he exposed the internals, the smell was so overwhelming that he hurled his guts out. Said his hands and the knife stunk worse than anything he had ever smelled so he put the knife into a solvent tank, taking several days for the smell to get off his hands no matter what he tried to neutralize it.

There was an article in Outdoor Oklahoma a few years back that recounted a bunch of outdoor adventures back in the 1800s-early 1900s. Complete with a photo was some fellows with three pelicans they had killed. They had commented that the plan was to eat them, but the smell from their mouths was so bad they couldn't even try.

There's loads of them up in the river above Keystone.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crossed over the Arkansas River bridge in Bixby this morning, going to get my welding students coffee and snacks, and saw several hundred pelicans on the sand bars as well as flying up and down the river.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Took these today. Small lake in N OKC.

20220126_171111.jpg20220126_171121.jpg

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
N side I40 south arm of Lake El Reno they hang out there now and then. See from the highway if you look. Also have seen them north side of twin bridges Lake Thunderbird.

Latest posts

Top Bottom