Penalty for Spying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What punishment should spies get?

• 1. Death Penalty

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • 2. Long term prison time

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • 3. Current sentences are fine

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would have voted death penalty if it directly causes a death of an American.
Otherwise...long term imprisonment while intel can be possibly extracted.

Then send em down to Guat bay to eat cock-meat sandwich's everyday.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it can be simple. If it hurts our country they are enemies regardless of any other labels.
It is unfortunate that through the years, right and wrong and moral values are viewed under a different light.

It certainly appears that simple doesn't it? Reminds me of the classic scene where the mobster says, "It's nothing personal, just business" before blowing someones brains out. kind of like "just following orders" was used in the past now personal gain is more socially acceptable when used to rationalize many things.

How else can the people of the US accept multimillion dollar contributions to our elected officials as normal? Everybody knows that contributions are a quid pro quo and yet everybody makes believe that all is well. That should be our starting point, honesty in government without that it won't work.

The classic "haves and have nots", many of the haves care little because they have,.
The have nots voices are not heard until their numbers grow,(because of "haves" losing theirs) then they are placated at the expense of the haves, but that can only last so long and history appears to indicate it's self defeating. Others have wondered if we're following Rome's example.

"Rome's decline began when large numbers of citizens discovered another source of income: the political process, or the state".

Kershner's First Law: "When a self-governing people confer upon their government the power to take from some and give to others, the process will not stop until the last bone of the last taxpayer is picked bare."

"As the old virtue of self-reliance gave way to political redistribution of income, priests, teachers and intellectuals extolled the virtues of the almighty emperor, the provider of all things. The interests of the individual were considered a distant second to the interests of the emperor and his legions. A spiritual vacuum ensued, which was filled partly by the rise of cults and partly by worship of the emperor. The latter reached its zenith under Emperor Diocletian in A.D. 285. No one could approach him without prostrating himself on the ground and kissing the hem of his garment. Formerly, the proud, free citizens of Rome had refused to render such servile adoration to any of their magistrates and rulers."

"Rome also suffered from the bane of all welfare states: inflation. The massive demands on the government to spend for everything created pressures for the multiplication of money. The Roman coin, the denarius, was cheapened and debased by one emperor after another to help pay for the expensive programs. Once almost pure silver, the denarius by A.D. 268 was little more than a piece of junk containing only .02 percent silver. American dimes, quarters and half dollars, incidentally, contained 90 percent silver as recently as 1964; today, they contain no silver at all."

http://www.mackinac.org/3

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long term prison sentences are the worst choice in my opinion. There are very few people I would volunteer to pay to give 3 hots and a cot for the next 20 years. A 19 cent bullet through the head is way more affordable.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It certainly appears that simple doesn't it? Reminds me of the classic scene where the mobster says, "It's nothing personal, just business" before blowing someones brains out. kind of like "just following orders" was used in the past now personal gain is more socially acceptable when used to rationalize many things.

There is a certain merit in keeping things simple and basic. When ti comes to national security we have to consider that we are not dealing with a punk that holds me or you up for $10. We are dealing with somebody that puts the entire nation in harms way, which means me, you my kids, my wife, my friends, my way of life, everything around me.
I'd like to keep it short and sweet. The founding fathers apparently felt the same way when they decided on one punishment only for treason.
Another thing that gets to me is the dual nationals. For some, nothing can be done, if their previous homeland refuses to let go, not their fault. I see something wrong with the idea that a US citizen born in this country will go to a foreign country, serve in their military (but not ours) and gain their citizenship. My wife's favorite TV Doctor, Dr Oz is such a man. He seems to be proud that he served in the Turkish Army and got a Turkish citizenship.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If cost of imprisonment is the issue of that factor, maybe focusing on cost of imprisonment of people with much lesser charges need to be addressed appropriately.

I'm not worried about cost of keeping a spy in prison. He could be valuable.

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now days intel like that is held in much higher regard than a human life, and for a reason. I know emotional I would want to terminate such a spy, but what if it could save the lives of many.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will go along with the intel bit, but there's only so long intel source lasts before torture make-believe truth begins.

All the same, I'd rather keep a spy alive for intel than I would the multitudes of multiple murder convicts for life. Ain't nothing being gained there at all IMHO.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a certain merit in keeping things simple and basic. When ti comes to national security we have to consider that we are not dealing with a punk that holds me or you up for $10. We are dealing with somebody that puts the entire nation in harms way, which means me, you my kids, my wife, my friends, my way of life, everything around me.
I'd like to keep it short and sweet. The founding fathers apparently felt the same way when they decided on one punishment only for treason.

Wouldn't that include those who have damaged our economy and robbed our nation costing everyone as a whole?
I think as things get worse opinions will change, the story below indicates some have worried about it.

Goldman's call to arms: Bankers seeking gun permits ahead of bonus season

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/99yBUe

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, I chose the long term prison sentence. Personally, I am more of any eye for an eye person. If their spying did not result in immediate death of anyone, they should not be sentenced to die IMO. If it can be proven that it in fact did result in someone's death, they should absolutely die. They should die in the same manner as those who died as a result of their actions. I think the death penalty should play out the same. You shoot someone, firing squad, strangle them, you get hung, stab them, well you get the picture. Just my two cents.

The reason why most people are saying death is because its the intent, potential, and purpose of what spying does and can do. Spying intentionally reveals a country's weaknesses to harm its citizens physically or through various other means.

You are saying just because we catch a spy before their goal was achieve that they shouldnt be punished to the full extent?

Latest posts

Top Bottom