Penalty for Spying

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What punishment should spies get?

• 1. Death Penalty

Votes: 97 85.1%
  • 2. Long term prison time

Votes: 16 14.0%
  • 3. Current sentences are fine

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Treason is Treason. It equals Death. As far as I'm concerned, anyone caught doing so, or spying should be tried by a Military court, not civilian/federal. Once found guilty, sentence is carried out!!

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Treason is defined, the problem is figuring out who our "enemies" really are. Some say Israel has acted against us yet they're considered a "friend".
Enemies can be "foreign or domestic", and while we are concerned about China and see veterans and those of certain political/social beliefs labeled
as possible terrorist, (enemies) but ignore other issues that have harmed the country.

What about those who have harmed our economy for their profit
margin? What about the frauds being reported in the banking foreclosure situation, the jobs outsourced, or the huge Medicare fraud recently exposed?

Imagine if illegal immigrants were considered "enemies" and the long list
who some might contend to have given them "aid or comfort". What if violation of an oath was considered a "breach of allegiance" as it used to be?

TREASON

This word imports a betraying, treachery, or breach of allegiance.

The Constitution of the United States, Art. III, defines treason against the United States to consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid or comfort. This offense is punished with death. By the same article of the Constitution, no person shall be convicted of treason, unless on the testimony of two witnesses to the same overt act, or on confession in open court.

http://www.lectlaw.com/def2/t103.htm

Traitors

"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."
~Marcus Tullius Cicero

I think it can be simple. If it hurts our country they are enemies regardless of any other labels.
It is unfortunate that through the years, right and wrong and moral values are viewed under a different light. How else can the people of the US accept multimillion dollar contributions to our elected officials as normal? Everybody knows that contributions are a quid pro quo and yet everybody makes believe that all is well. That should be our starting point, honesty in government without that it won't work.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the thread goes South.

If you want to enforce your personal constitution(note the "c" not "C") against the government spying on you, go ahead. The majority of us will still be here afterwards.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it's ok for our government to allow it's agencies to spy on it's own people.

It is something necessary and done under court supervision. The American people like it, last time I was at the Library listening to my congressman nobody complained about the patriot act and similar. I didn't see people demonstrating at the local level or marching to DC. The only protests I am aware of are about money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom