Pennsylvania Voters Reelect Dead Democrat State Representative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That happened in Oklahoma about 30 years ago. I want to say it was a state House race for a district around Poteau, but it could've been a local election. Either way, the guy died after his name was placed on the ballot but before the general election, and a majority of voters voted for him, so he was named the winner.

The guy who lost sued over it, and the Courts ruled that the election was valid, saying that a vote for the dead guy counted as a vote against the other guy, and the voters in the district clearly did not want him in office.

IIRC, they forced a special election to choose a replacement for the dead guy, but I don't remember exactly who won it, though I vaguely recall that the guy who lost to the dead guy also lost the special election.

The same thing happened up in Texas county quite some years back, However, in that case, it was for a judge and no one wanted the other guy to be a judge, so they voted for the "cadaver" as opposed to the unwanted guy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom