PEX Plumbing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need to run a few hundred feet of pex to my build site.
I am seeing PEX Type A, PEX type B, PEX Type C,
Oxygen barrier, non O2 barrier, heated raidiant floor type......

What kind/type of PEX do I need to run from the meter to the house?

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a plumber, but it’s my understanding that both Pex A and B can be used underground. About a month ago, I ran around 1500 feet underground using Pex A. The fittings are what’s important, and the least amount the better. I bought 500 foot rolls to reduce the number of fittings. The crimp rings aren’t recommended for underground use because they will eventually deteriorate. I used push connections that were rated for underground use.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods it is black polyethylene water service line (I believe from Oil Creek Plastics) , or soft K copper if you want to spend the money.

Fittings are flare, or Mac-pak compression. The good ones are brass made in the USA, I believe the company is A.Y. McDonald!

Not a fan of pex for potable water yet, but it is great for heating!

It is my belief that copper with lead free solder for potable water is the most heathy choice!

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d second the black poly pipe. Buy a 500’ coil so you minimize the connections. If you had to make multiple connections before tying in, fusion (socket or butt) is an option- socket is simple and bomb proof, harder to mess up. You can also buy mechanical fittings, they’re expensive but robust and it’s theoretically nice to be able to remove in the event you need to change something.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d also oversize it, because the less friction loss the better. Even coming out of a 3/4” service connection from the meter you’ll do yourself a favor going into say a 2” line until you get to just outside the structure.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods it is black polyethylene water service line (I believe from Oil Creek Plastics) , or soft K copper if you want to spend the money.

Fittings are flare, or Mac-pak compression. The good ones are brass made in the USA, I believe the company is A.Y. McDonald!

Not a fan of pex for potable water yet, but it is great for heating!

It is my belief that copper with lead free solder for potable water is the most heathy choice!
We had a 3/4” Black Polyethylene waterline 340’ from our well to the house in Pittsburg Co. from 1977 to around 1998. I can’t remember a winter without at least a couple of splits in it. We put in PEX from the submersible pump all the way to the house….. no problems since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom