PEX Plumbing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a 3/4” Black Polyethylene waterline 340’ from our well to the house in Pittsburg Co. from 1977 to around 1998. I can’t remember a winter without at least a couple of splits in it. We put in PEX from the submersible pump all the way to the house….. no problems since.
I think that’s due to the quality of poly offered when that was installed. I’ve run a lot of poly, my dad has run a lot more than a lot, and have never been back to make a repair. We use socket fusion and mechanical fittings.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a 3/4” Black Polyethylene waterline 340’ from our well to the house in Pittsburg Co. from 1977 to around 1998. I can’t remember a winter without at least a couple of splits in it. We put in PEX from the submersible pump all the way to the house….. no problems since.
Wow, I just read that and am in awe.

Did you have the black waterline burried in the ground?

Not much problems with water lines freezing / cracking here, but I put them in the ground at least 3 feet deep.

Some municipalities require 4 feet bury and I thought I heard of some requiring 5 foot

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I just read that and am in awe.

Did you have the black waterline burried in the ground?

Not much problems with water lines freezing / cracking here, but I put them in the ground at least 3 feet deep.

Some municipalities require 4 feet bury and I thought I heard of some requiring 5 foot
Black poly sold for at least the last 20 years expands more than water freezing to ice does, you can leave it on top of the ground and it’ll freeze without bursting. I’m guessing that older stuff was a significantly different product.

R Hicks

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
O2 barrier pex is for closed loop systems like radiant floor heating. Uponor AquaPex is the best in my opinion and if you can afford to rent or buy the tools for the propex polymer fittings it will keep the run full bore and corrosion proof. Ideally, you won't have fittings underground. They now have polymer push-on fittings for their pipe too to make is simple but I have no idea how much they cost.

Latest posts

Top Bottom