Pheasant hunting training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fnippip

New to the site!
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get some "basic trng" in pheasant hunting?
I have a good knowledge of firearms (rifles and shotguns). Would trap or skeet be good trng?

If possible, would prefer to be able to hunt in current season. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming - MAYBE.

mike_pinto

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean here? I have been huntin pheasant for about 25 years now and every one I have shot has been a different scenario. Early season pheasant can be successfully harvested with a 20 gauge with 7 1/2 shot since they hold quite tight. After opening day, I go with express long range #6 in 12 gauge and tighten the choke up a bit. As far as finding them, I can usually bag a limit opening weekend without a dog and walking field edges. After the first weekend, they will run you in circles without a good dog. I would suggest getting a hold of one of these pay to play places and let them show you how it is done on not so wild birds first. Red rock hinting is a great first class place. A bit NW of Stillwater, a mite spendy, but some really great folks, good birds, and great dogs.

Another option is just to dive right in an start knocking on doors from Medford to the Colorado line and see if thy will let you hunt their fields. If you don't have a son or daughter, about 10 years old or so, I might recommend borrowing one to ask for permission! :)

if you need any tips or tricks beyon this, shoot me a pm. I will be heading out next weekend to get my seasonal 3 birds an call it good. I don't have time for a dog anymore so I usually walk my ditches and will flush enough.

Good luck

mike

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a good knowledge of firearms (rifles and shotguns). Would trap or skeet be good trng?

If possible, would prefer to be able to hunt in current season. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming - MAYBE.

If you can shoot a shotgun and hit anything flying, go spend a couple hundred at Silver Leaf in Guthrie. you can shoot trap, skeet, or sporting clays. It's pricey, but fun as hell.
I'd say if you can shoot a 60 or better on the beginner course you can shoot good enough to not get skunked.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Regulation Trap shooting will sometimes ruin a wing shooter. Its always the same distance, mostly the same height and the same speed.

Skeet will be a better tune up, with crossing shots, targets coming at you, going away from you and so on.
My crowd goes into private ground, sets up a couple of throwers and simulates actual hunting scenerios. One in the front, and one going to the left and so on.
This is advice for upland game like quail. If your going after pheasant, put on your heavy boots, load up your vest with as many shells as it will carry, carry something weighing about 9 pounds, throw in another couple of pounds for a bird or two you've already taken and walk at a fast pace for miles in broken cover. Prepare to be dissapointed when you shut the truck door, and a dozen break and fly to the neighbors land. Thats pheasant hunting.......I love it:D

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_DSC00922.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_birdhunt.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom