Pheasant Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Seven of us took fifteen in about three hours Sat morning in Grant Co. Saw lots of birds and had a good outing.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got in my first full day huntin west of Liberal. I started out on public land and it was pretty slow at first. Missed the only rooster I jumped in half a mile of walking. The back of the WIHA bordered a cut corn field and was not accesible by vehicle. It was crawling with birds. Got a single and double and thought I was gonna be limited out by 9. Finally got my limit at 3. I worked for that last one, me and the dog both. Met some awesome farmers that gave me permission to hunt on all their land. They have about 15 sections of land, so there should be something decent in all that. All it cost me was a roll of jalapeno and cheese venison summer sausage. Tell ya what, them Kansas boys don't mess around when it comes to farmin. I made friends with the farmer and asked him for a tour. He loved to talk and glady showed me his operation. They were a high tech outfit, I was very impressed. Lookin forward to next couple of days!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got in my first full day huntin west of Liberal. I started out on public land and it was pretty slow at first. Missed the only rooster I jumped in half a mile of walking. The back of the WIHA bordered a cut corn field and was not accesible by vehicle. It was crawling with birds. Got a single and double and thought I was gonna be limited out by 9. Finally got my limit at 3. I worked for that last one, me and the dog both. Met some awesome farmers that gave me permission to hunt on all their land. They have about 15 sections of land, so there should be something decent in all that. All it cost me was a roll of jalapeno and cheese venison summer sausage. Tell ya what, them Kansas boys don't mess around when it comes to farmin. I made friends with the farmer and asked him for a tour. He loved to talk and glady showed me his operation. They were a high tech outfit, I was very impressed. Lookin forward to next couple of days!

Sounds like your in for a good hunt!
My buddy and I went out this afternoon, late, and walked a couple miles in prime pheasant habitat, and saw two roosters out of range, and flushed one hen. Perfect temp, perfect wind, perfect habitat.....no birds.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Day 2 was a success. Had to do more driving and looking than anything. Once I found good habitat, the birds were plentiful. Weather was drastically different today. Yesterday was bright and sunny with little wind. Today was overcast, steady 20 mph wind and some snow flurries. If the birds were goin into the wind there was a lot more time to get a shot off. With the wind you had to be quick. My last shot was a right to left crossing shot with the wind. I had to lead the bird by about four or five feet it seemed. It folded and tumbled and made a great end note. I wore the dog smooth out, she's done, so gonna head back home tomorrow. Great trip, a couple of limits, and memories to last a lifetime.

Latest posts

Top Bottom