Pheasant Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynemorgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kansas would be your best bet,far northwest oklahoma or around kaw lake.
a good dog would help if you have one.
check out ultimatepleasanthunting.com for all the info

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Straight up I-35 around Blackwell...I lost my honey-hole up there, but I know from experience you don't have to go to Kansas to find 'em.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up around Blackwell is good but it can be very difficult to gain access to the birds. NW Oklahoma is a little easier and there are quite a few birds there. I've hunted Kansas, as well as Oklahoma, for 25 years or so (and Iowa & Missouri some too.) Kansas has a few million acres of what they call "Wee-haw" land. The actual name is WIHA for Walk in Hunting Area. It is a very successful program patterned after some other western states. It is a program where the state leases land to provide free access to hunters. While much of what they lease is difficult to hunt, such as large tracts of CRP a little scouting will go a long way to find some pretty good spots to get on the ground. The scouting doesn't have to be in person. Google Earth and Topo map recon will help. Kansas usually has their downloadable maps showing where the plots are on their web site by September. I think it's worth the cost of the out of state license to make a trip or two up there each year. I prefer the WIHA concept to that of Oklahoma which is to buy up land.

Ike and I will be up there this fall for a week or so. I take a travel trailer and spend a few relaxing days. As mentioned, a good dog makes it more rewarding (at least for me). If the only way I could hunt pheasant would be to line up and walk a field, pushing them ahead of me -- I would stay home and watch some good Oklahoma/Oklahoma State football. Ike is 11 now. When he is gone I'm through.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Up around Blackwell is good but it can be very difficult to gain access to the birds. NW Oklahoma is a little easier and there are quite a few birds there. I've hunted Kansas, as well as Oklahoma, for 25 years or so (and Iowa & Missouri some too.) Kansas has a few million acres of what they call "Wee-haw" land. The actual name is WIHA for Walk in Hunting Area. It is a very successful program patterned after some other western states. It is a program where the state leases land to provide free access to hunters. While much of what they lease is difficult to hunt, such as large tracts of CRP a little scouting will go a long way to find some pretty good spots to get on the ground. The scouting doesn't have to be in person. Google Earth and Topo map recon will help. Kansas usually has their downloadable maps showing where the plots are on their web site by September. I think it's worth the cost of the out of state license to make a trip or two up there each year. I prefer the WIHA concept to that of Oklahoma which is to buy up land.

Ike and I will be up there this fall for a week or so. I take a travel trailer and spend a few relaxing days. As mentioned, a good dog makes it more rewarding (at least for me). If the only way I could hunt pheasant would be to line up and walk a field, pushing them ahead of me -- I would stay home and watch some good Oklahoma/Oklahoma State football. Ike is 11 now. When he is gone I'm through.

I agree on the WIHA concept.
Blackwell and surrounding areas are quickly being leased out to outfitters, charging hi rates for hunting.
Last year was my first for hunting KS on the WIHA's.
It was the last week of the season in NW KS right on I70.
they had been hit hard all season but we still managed to walk a lot of miles to get our limits.
The motels were hunting dog friendly. Dog in the room was 10 bucks more, but we had 4 dogs with us in a dog box inside of a topper, so they stayed outside. They had areas to take the dogs to do their "duty".
Signs all over town saying "welcome hunters" were a plus too.

I hope Ike has a long life to keep you in the field a lot longer.
Gunner has kept me there for 6 more years, and I'm getting ready to look for a trainee. We take my buddies dad with us for a blocker some times. He's 81.
Can't walk far, but he is still a dead-eye on crossing birds.:D

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010014.jpg

this was an immature eagle we found that had hit a high line
aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010015_1.jpg

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_P1010018_2.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom