Pigs,pigs and more pigs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Huckleberry 75 and I went deer hunting this weekend, we thought. Huckleberry's bro in law and friend joined us at the cabin too. We went to our chosen stands on Friday night and settled in for the wait. Soon I had 2 mature does, a yearling and fawn on the feeder, so far so good. Near dark I hear a shot fron one of the stands. Great!! Hmmmm, it is now 45 minutes after dark and the deer are still under the feeder. I can hear them shuffling around. So I figure, since they are aware of the pigs on the farm, if I snort like a pig they will spook and leave. WRONG!!!!!! I snort and they bolt a few yards. Now what? SNORT,SNORT. Nuts, they are still there. SNORT,SNORT,SNORT, ahhhh no noise. I can get down now. Shortly, Huckleberry picks me up in the truck and before I can get my tale out about the hunt. He tells me his BIL has 2 pigs down, 1 with a crossbow and 1 with a muzzleloader. Jeepers! 174 pound silver sow ran 70 yds or so with the bolt in her and piles up. Her piglets run off and return in 10 minute lookin for momma. The BIL doesn't want to ruin another bolt so he shoots 1 between the the eyes at 20 yds. She weighed 74 pounds. These are live weights.
Saturday night we switch stands and I take the one where they pigs were shot. I do not figure that there will be much activity there since the commotion from the previous night. Huckleberry is North of me in a stand when all of a sudden multiple shots ring out, someone with a semi- auto lets loose. Huckleberry hunkers up with the tree behind him and waits for the noise to subside. In the mean time, a decent 8 point walks in like he owns the place and I dump him like a sack of potatoes. I finish cleaning the deer and it is full dark, when I hear a rustle in the brush on the creek behind me. GRUNT! and it isn't me. Nuts!! My ML is empty. Do you know how fast an old fat man can reload a ML???? R-E-A-L-L-Y S-L-O-W. The E-Z GO is REALLY SLOW in coming to pick me up too. It gets there finally and I am informed that Huckleberry has stuck a big hog. He thought it was a bear at first because it was so dark and so big. Lordy, Lordy, we have seen 18 separate does and nobody has connected with deer except me.
We locate Huckleberry's light in the trees and get over to his position. OMG! It takes 3 of us to load this big boar. Live weighed at 222 pounds. No wonder he thought it was a bear, it was so dark colored. He made a phenominal shot in the dark with his bow. A quartering shot, 13ft up a tree at 25 or so yards and drilled the heart. He will chime in here soon, I expect and he can fill in the details. 485 pounds of pigs and a 94 pound dressed 8 point for the weekend. The boys put a whuppin on the pigs with their bows.:D

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, we were at the cabin at Antlers. Home of the one and only "Roosta". Unfortunately,he missed the excitement and a wonderfully grilled venison tenderloin that was done over a nice bed of hickory coals. Huckleberry marinated 2 tenderloins and prepared a delicious au gratin potato casserole.What a meal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom