Please define ASSAULT RIFLE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I showed up outside one of those town hall meetings (in an open carry state) with my scoped 10/22 strapped to my shoulder, the gathered media would most assuredly call it an "assault rifle".

Drive-bys are inherently ignorant and much too lazy to do objective reporting about anything gun-related.:smash:

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I showed up outside one of those town hall meetings (in an open carry state) with my scoped 10/22 strapped to my shoulder, the gathered media would most assuredly call it an "assault rifle".

Drive-bys are inherently ignorant and much too lazy to do objective reporting about anything gun-related.:smash:

If you should up with Grampa's side by side Greener...they'd say the same thing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only assault weapon in those stories is the irresponsible way they wield the 1st Amendment. The assault is to our common sense and the weapon is their mouths. :(

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I hear "Assault Weapon" or "Assault Rifle" (in the context of a semi-auto sporting rifle), I hear the same ringing as I do when ever I hear "Sniper Rifle" in the context of average non-military Joe talking about his rifle.

Same is true when I hear "Navy Seal" in the context of that goofy jackass from Future Weapons (did the Navy Seals have cooks?).

Some of this is brought on by the gun community from within. For every person out there correcting "clips" to "mags", or "Sniper Rifle" to precision rifle (in many cases, its not even that precision), there are 10 more that have never had any training in firearms yet they own a couple of pimped out commando looking guns that are supposed "military rifles" and all of a sudden, they're experts.

The shooting community as a whole got lazy when some of its members reveled in the thought of people thinking they had "Assault weapons" or "Assault Rifles" and the entire shooting community got lazy when the media started calling everything an "Assault Weapon".

Now we're paying for it. That is why so many people are so sensitive about proper labels for things in the gun world - failing to keep a handle on some of that stuff can result in those same labels being used against us all.

So the next time you catch yourself thinking "that guy is being anal about keeping the labels straight", remember what happens when the opposing side's media gets hold of that label and starts abusing it.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whenever I hear "Assault Weapon" or "Assault Rifle" (in the context of a semi-auto sporting rifle), I hear the same ringing as I do when ever I hear "Sniper Rifle" in the context of average non-military Joe talking about his rifle.

Same is true when I hear "Navy Seal" in the context of that goofy jackass from Future Weapons (did the Navy Seals have cooks?).

Some of this is brought on by the gun community from within. For every person out there correcting "clips" to "mags", or "Sniper Rifle" to precision rifle (in many cases, its not even that precision), there are 10 more that have never had any training in firearms yet they own a couple of pimped out commando looking guns that are supposed "military rifles" and all of a sudden, they're experts.

The shooting community as a whole got lazy when some of its members reveled in the thought of people thinking they had "Assault weapons" or "Assault Rifles" and the entire shooting community got lazy when the media started calling everything an "Assault Weapon".

Now we're paying for it. That is why so many people are so sensitive about proper labels for things in the gun world - failing to keep a handle on some of that stuff can result in those same labels being used against us all.

So the next time you catch yourself thinking "that guy is being anal about keeping the labels straight", remember what happens when the opposing side's media gets hold of that label and starts abusing it.

I'm pointing my assault spork in your direction. You'd better watch it, dude.

zork

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not so much the ass-alt rifle nomenclature that bothers me, but the next sentence out of the typical newsperson is that he/she had an "arsenal." Which means anything from 3 empty shells to 100 fully-auto AK-47s (no doubt stolen from Mexican drug lords).

It's as if some drunk crashed his Yukon into another car, killing a family, and the newsperson says "and the gas storage tank still contained 20 gals of gas!!!"

Whatever......

Latest posts

Top Bottom