Police Chases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a thread here recently about the police chase that was aired live here in the city. I couldn’t find that thread, but a question came up in a conversation with friends that witnessed the event. I’m sure someone here has had experience with this or knows the legal/insurance answer:

Who pays for the damage to the vehicles of those that just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had a thread here recently about the police chase that was aired live here in the city. I couldn’t find that thread, but a question came up in a conversation with friends that witnessed the event. I’m sure someone here has had experience with this or knows the legal/insurance answer:

Who pays for the damage to the vehicles of those that just happened to be in the wrong spot at the wrong time?
I wondered that myself when the LEO basically let the person out of their trap.
What if someone had been injured or killed by them letting that vehicle back out to flee?
Does the city have immunity against this and an officer would get chastised for allowing damage to their vehicle? Political reasons in this current culture of letting criminals not suffer the consequences of their crimes?
That is some of the questions I saw when that video surfaced. It's totally obvious they let the perp out of the trap to run again.

Progun223

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totaled my patrol car once in a pursuit. It was like Dukes of Hazzard. I got in trouble.
6E2DBC94-E94E-4AC4-B4A9-0BFD23DE5362.png

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered that myself when the LEO basically let the person out of their trap.
What if someone had been injured or killed by them letting that vehicle back out to flee?
Does the city have immunity against this and an officer would get chastised for allowing damage to their vehicle? Political reasons in this current culture of letting criminals not suffer the consequences of their crimes?
That is some of the questions I saw when that video surfaced. It's totally obvious they let the perp out of the trap to run again.

I have no answers to @DavidMcMillan or your questions but it's notable that after the young carjacker killed a couple of people while being chased and a guy in a stolen truck killed a woman in OKC (both recently) there's been more outcry to end/modify police chases in the name of public safety.
Now Chicago has implemented a new foot chase policy which some might say is kind of "cumbersome" on the officers and favors letting criminals have an edge...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-police-foot-chase-policy/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totaled my patrol car once in a pursuit. It was like Dukes of Hazzard. I got in trouble. View attachment 208089
I was leading my comments in that direction.
A couple of years ago we had a major snowstorm with Highway 60 west of town almost shut down because of 2wd vehicles being stuck.
I drove out there in my Toyota 4 WD. The first vehicle stuck was a Ponca City Police Car. Drove through some drifts to get in front and started hooking a chain on to the brush guard. The officer got out and asked if I had something that wouldn't mess with the paint vs a chain as he would get in trouble for damage. I did with a short nylon cable.
He actually offered me money for the tow when we got out of the drifts, but refused. I don't charge anyone to help them if they are in a mess, vehicle or anything else. Refuse to take advantage of someone's plight to make a buck.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no answers to @DavidMcMillan or your questions but it's notable that after the young carjacker killed a couple of people while being chased and a guy in a stolen truck killed a woman in OKC (both recently) there's been more outcry to end/modify police chases in the name of public safety.
Now Chicago has implemented a new foot chase policy which some might say is kind of "cumbersome" on the officers and favors letting criminals have an edge...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/chicago-police-foot-chase-policy/

I'm not anywhere related to the job LEO have to do so I can't do anything but observe and comment using the information given.
We may have been discussing different incidents.
Just using my common sense that may not agree with any others, in every recent chase there has been helicopters involved that follow the chase from overhead.
There is no need to have a high speed chase. Even if criminals or felons are involved. Follow them at a distance with the helo overhead and bust them when they run out of fuel.
I understand that is the simple answer, and there are mitigating circumstances that may say different tactics are necessary, but some of those I see on TV are not necessary with the common citizen put in danger when they shouldn't be.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it would end up in court being decided by the court and civil suits. I don’t know if it covers it or not, but there are restitution programs that are court ordered and the cost is “supposed” to be paid by the convicted persons. BUT, how can they pay their fees when they’re serving their time?

Years ago one of our brush pumpers got stuck while fighting a grass fire. The land owner brought his tractor out and pulled the rig out and they continued fighting the fire.

About two weeks later the department made a policy that our vehicles could only be towed by the department wrecker. The land owner sent the city a bill for pulling the brush pumper out of his field.

Latest posts

Top Bottom