Police get OWNED by guy who know's his rights.. For concealed or open carry people!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Oklahoma if you are OPEN CARRYING and are asked to provide your permit you are REQUIRED to do so ... If you are CONCEAL CARRYING you are required to notify an officer during the course of official business ... There are a TON of threads here about these two issues, with the pertinent statutes quoted in them ... Or you can go to oscn.net and look them up yourself.

The only time OK is a stop and ID state is if you are open carry and an officer wants to check your permit. Other than that all you need to do if you are being detained for something (other than driving or carrying a firearm under the SDA) is verbally provide your correct name.

The problem is that some officers will try and make a person provide identification of some kind for no reason at all. This is where the issue comes in...I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have to show ID. Then the other side says, well if you have noting to hide, why not show the ID and be done with it? Answer is...because I don't have to.

yes this much I already knew(the requirements for open carrying and or official interactions with law enforcement). my understanding was exactly as you described it hrdware, thanks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only time OK is a stop and ID state is if you are open carry and an officer wants to check your permit. Other than that all you need to do if you are being detained for something (other than driving or carrying a firearm under the SDA) is verbally provide your correct name.

The problem is that some officers will try and make a person provide identification of some kind for no reason at all. This is where the issue comes in...I'm not doing anything wrong, I don't have to show ID. Then the other side says, well if you have noting to hide, why not show the ID and be done with it? Answer is...because I don't have to.

I disagree. The REAL problem comes when an officer asks for ID and a person carrying a weapon of ANY KIND refuses to identify. At what point does a contact become "official"? Like it or not the rules change when you strap on a gun (either openly, or concealed) and go about your day ... And anyone who doesn't think so is just begging to be made an example of.

I dunno about you guys, but I don't need to make a personal statement (and risk a contact becoming "official") while I am conceal carrying a weapon. However, as always ... YMMV ... :)

Now ... you guys can debate whether this is "fair" all day long and I don't care one way or another but to make it sound like you can carry a weapon and refuse to provide an officer with identification "just because" is simply irresponsible ... Because an "unofficial" contact can quickly become "official" if you want to give an officer an articulable (is that even a word??) reason to make it official ... and whether you like it or not a weapon of any kind makes it pretty easy for an officer to articulate concern for public or officer safety.

ETA: If you are not carrying a weapon of ANY KIND, then I do agree with you, that ID is not required to be provided. But again, you have to ask yourself ... Just how much do you want your day to be screwed up? Because you open yourself up to all kinds of legal "possibilities" by refusing to ID yourself. Just so long as you know that things might not go exactly how you would like for them to (or how you think they "ought" to go in a perfect world), then it's all good ... :)

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

I agree but you better follow the law. If not I would make sure there was some documentation put in your file. It goes both ways... That is the problem I have is some of the younger ones thinks it a crown and I bow to no one. If you treat with respect then you tend to get the same respect back.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree but you better follow the law. If not I would make sure there was some documentation put in your file. It goes both ways... That is the problem I have is some of the younger ones thinks it a crown and I bow to no one. If you treat with respect then you tend to get the same respect back.

Respect is the issue with some of the "younger ones". Many of them work in parts of town where no matter how nice they are they do not get respect from the community. It is not just the younger cops it is the younger members of society as well. They think laws do not matter as long as they are "not hurting anyone". They get mad when an officer pulls them over because they were speeding through a school zone with a 4yr old bouncing around in the back of the car.

Respect is a two way street. Just like you can show many videos of people being "disrespected" by police officers, you can also find many videos of police officers being respectful and getting treated like crap. When asked for your name it would be respectful to tell the officer your name, you dont have to give him your DL/ID, however telling him your name will go a long way in the respect department.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Define official contact... thats the confusing point for most people if an officer is walking by and says have a nice day do I have to blurt out "I have a gun" at what point does a friendly exchange become official contact.

I say "good morning", and "how you doing?", along with a plethora of other mundane niceties to officers I may encounter in public, should I abstain from doing so since I don't blurt out hey I've got a gun? I open carry on the bike, lets face it its easier said hello to an officer while he was filling up at the pump next to mine, the bastard had the temerity to ask me how my day was going and complement my motorcycle yet never demanded to see my permit. I've had officers look right at me in traffic and never once indicate they give a **** about the springfield XD on my hip.

Attention whores gonna be attention whores the whole thing is silly and stupid. I know people who are straight arrows that can't encounter a cop without getting a ticket and then theres guys that get stopped all the time and get told to slow down and have a nice day. It's all about the individual and how they carry themselves most of the time, you wanna be jackass go ahead. Me I'll save my douche baggery and disdain for authority for the real problem in this world the oppressive moderators and owner of this den of iniquity we call OSA...

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can agree with you to a point but the Cop knows the law. He was just trying to get around it by continuing to keep asking for it. The law is the law and it's not for local LEO's to try to get around it. What would happen if we tried to side step a ticket? we knew the law but kept driving faster anyway. I am not a LEO basher but I think that a lot of the young guns that we have on the streets today have a lot to learn and some of them will learn the hard way. What happened to the day when they were part of the community, Kids interacted with them and Parents looked up to them? Now days they act like they own the place. I had rather deal with one 45 years old or older. My best friend is retired LEO and we have discussed this several times.

I agree with you, and I hope this is the last time that cop makes that kind of a stop.

By his definition, someone could just as easily have called the police on someone walking out of a liquor store with a fifth of Jack Daniels, and accusing him of wanting to use it to drive while intoxicated.

LIke you, I prefer dealing with LEO's who have more experiance under their belt, and are past the stage of shaving their heads and wearing wrap around sunglasses.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you, and I hope this is the last time that cop makes that kind of a stop.

By his definition, someone could just as easily have called the police on someone walking out of a liquor store with a fifth of Jack Daniels, and accusing him of wanting to use it to drive while intoxicated.

LIke you, I prefer dealing with LEO's who have more experiance under their belt, and are past the stage of shaving their heads and wearing wrap around sunglasses.

Just tell them you pay theyre salary, theyll appreciate it.... ')

Im kidding..

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guy was talking a bit fast and forcefully... I think he was a bit "adrenalin'd up". Not because he was looking for a fight, but because he was in a tense situation. Being stopped by the police while carrying a gun can make anyone nervous... obviously, he WAS suspected of being a criminal, or he wouldn't have been stopped to begin with. The officer in the video DID at least know enough to officially deny that fact, but it doesn't change the fact that we all KNOW... he HAD to have suspected him of something, or he would NOT have stopped him. I do not believe the officer really knew he was in the wrong for simply asking for something so benign as ID, but when the citizen declined (being well within his rights), the situation obviously became a bit more tense. I would have been slightly tense, too, had a police officer stopped me because some Nervous Nellies were scared of something patently NOT illegal and began to treat me as if I WERE suspected of a crime - disarming me? Taking away my gun, which effectively then prevents me from leaving the scene as I am well within my rights to do (who's going to leave their $300-1000 weapon behind?).

I sympathize a bit with the citizen for being a bit hyped up... I am sure he was nervous. Knowing he was within his rights and following the law 100% is one thing, but obviously, you never know if one of those cops who has a complex is going to end up body-slamming you on the pavement. It's a real concern, sadly. I know in some places, that video recording device would have been snatched out of his hands and mysteriously ended up broken on the sidewalk, while he was then subjected to who knows what kind of treatment. Not bashing anyone here, but there are places I have personally lived (both here in the US and abroad) where the constabulary does not take well to being questioned in any way, right or wrong though they may be.

Good on the citizen for being well-read and prepared, I'll give him an 80%, with the only deductions being his nervousness and seemingly-confrontational demeanor (which I think is a direct result), and I'd give the initiating officer a 55-60% for trying to be polite while stalling and pumping for information rather gently until his supervisor arrived, but illegally disarming someone doing nothing wrong and seizing his property in the course, even temporarily. And the supervisor gets a solid 100% for immediately putting the incident to an end.

Latest posts

Top Bottom