Poll: Air vs Nitrogen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Air or Nitrogen?

• Total voters

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nitrogen makes sense in an aircraft application. In your car/truck, weigh the cost vs. benefit. Is it worth it? Not to me.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering that 'air' is like 78% Nitrogen as is, it seems kind of dumb to pay $30 for someone to bump it the extra 22%.

Seriously. All that talk about 'molecule migration' contributing to flats is pure baloney. Boyle's Law only works when temperature remains constant.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering that 'air' is like 78% Nitrogen as is, it seems kind of dumb to pay $30 for someone to bump it the extra 22%.
This. If you're running a race, having "pure" nitrogen in your tires might make a difference (there's reason the XB-70 Valkyrie used N-filled tires, after all), but on the streets, save the money and check your tire pressure regularly.

FWIW, my truck was delivered with N-filled tires. Last fall, some chick ran into the side of my truck, and I ended up with N-filled tires on one side and regular air-filled tires on the other side. It makes not a damned bit of difference, as far as I can tell.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Seriously. All that talk about 'molecule migration' contributing to flats is pure baloney. Boyle's Law only works when temperature remains constant.

This, plus why pay that much extra for it? If you really want the nitrogen in the tires then just go down to airgas or another industrial gas supply place and buy a tank you can fill all your vehicles and charge the numbskulls down the street $15.00 and pay off the tank by the time you are done.

As far as the tires breaking down etc, go down to a place that does tires and look inside of an old one. Unless you are going to let the vehicle sit it's not that likely the "air" is going to break down the rubber in fact it's more likely to dry rot from the sun, heat and exposure from the outside in.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pressure can vary a lot with air, and varies very little with nitrogen. When aircraft tires go through as much as 300 degrees difference, you must have nitrogen.

I put it in a set of Cooper tires on my wife's daily driver. Stays in there better than air, and after a long run in summer, pressures do not vary. Air will vary quite a bit. This reduces wear a bit. It was five bucks a tire with permanent service when I did it. Much more than that now, and I did not do it with my FJ Cruiser.

All heavy and high performance aircraft use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom