ported handgun? what are the pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so you got the blindness like if someone turns a flashlight in your eyes after your eyes have adjusted?

Not quite that bad. In my experience, it's kind of like getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. If you don't turn on the bathroom light, you're good to go back to bed without bumping into everything on the way. But even a low wattage light in the bathroom will screw up how well you see in the darkness. It takes a few seconds for your eyes to adjust back to the darkness.

Maybe my eyes are just more sensitive.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats not true, I have shot my G22c at night with carry ammunition the muzzle flash is hardly noticible, you dont loose your night vision. Even with target ammo which has a larger flash still fine no problems

I think a person would have to experiment with different ammo to find less flash. Faster burning powder would probably equal less flash, slower powder, more flash. I choose to buy guns that are not compensated, thats what I like.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and the nighttime intruder will be left blind and deaf. The battle will be on with only your sense of touch and smell left. This is why I have swapped out my hd gun to a un ported glock. WHen I bought my xd I didnt know much about the porting, now I wish I didnt have it. I may pick up another unported barrel to remidy this

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the others said, it's nice since it helps reduce muzzle climb.

But during retention drills when you have to hold and fire your pistol right next to your side it sucks.

The night vision thing can be a problem, too. Seems to me that some loads flash more than others, probably due to the powder used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom