ported handgun? what are the pros and cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A guy I knew had a ported Glock and complained a bit about grime getting on the front sight and the top of the slide, but other than that he liked it.

It seems like it's sort of a "take it or leave it" feature to most folks until you get up into some of the field artillery caliber revolvers.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cons: Loud, dusty, slide get dirty fast.
pro: fast follow up, less recoil.

I own a G19C, my wife and I used to to practice in class and range visit but I would swap out to non-ported barrel when I want to carry it. I love to shoot it but I hate to clean the slide after.

DC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pros: reduced recoil, able to get back on target faster.
Cons: LOUD!!! and if you shoot it at night, forget about your night vision.

This is the biggest con!!!!!!!!!
depending on the load, the flame can be quite impressive but you will be pretty much blinded for quite a few seconds.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 3" 357 that is quadra ported that I have shot quite a bit in low light conditions. It isn't any worse than my non ported snubbies. the gas venting from the ports is lost in the muzzle flash and not even noticable from behind the sights.

I've never shot it without hearing protection but with muffs on it doesn't seem any louder. Also I think all shorter barreled pistols and revolvers tend to give a blast effect to your face and arms when shooting while held in close to your body, maybe not as bad as porting or brakes.

As for muzzle flip, it really helps keep the barrel down and make follow up shots a bit quicker. All in all I like magna ported barrels on pistols. Don't care so much for the brakes.

DestructoJr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pros: reduced recoil, able to get back on target faster.
Cons: LOUD!!! and if you shoot it at night, forget about your night vision.

Thats not true, I have shot my G22c at night with carry ammunition the muzzle flash is hardly noticible, you dont loose your night vision. Even with target ammo which has a larger flash still fine no problems

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a 21C and you can definetly see the V pattern from the gasses at night. Like others have said its not ideal for close in but you can learn to turn the gun out, which is how you will be taught if you use it much. Either by yourself or by an instuctor. I say if its cheap buy it, if you don't like it sell it or buy a extra barrel with out it.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats not true, I have shot my G22c at night with carry ammunition the muzzle flash is hardly noticible, you dont loose your night vision. Even with target ammo which has a larger flash still fine no problems

Under what conditions? Flashlight available? Street lights? Or total darkness? Because I've shot several compensated and non-compensated firearms in night fire exercises and you DO lose some ability to see clearly with just moonlight. It comes back, but the seconds necessary for it to come back can be a bad deal in a armed conflict situation.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
for everyone who posted about losing night vision, what is your experiance with it? I have seen both arguements online and say it is 50/50. Anyone shot under duress (shoot out) and even remember being able to see or not? Most weapons put out some sort of fireball, granted a ported glocks really seems to shoot one out there, but who watches their slide when in a shoot out? Just curious, cause many police dept's have issued these weapons and had no problem with this concern.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for everyone who posted about losing night vision, what is your experiance with it? I have seen both arguements online and say it is 50/50. Anyone shot under duress (shoot out) and even remember being able to see or not? Most weapons put out some sort of fireball, granted a ported glocks really seems to shoot one out there, but who watches their slide when in a shoot out? Just curious, cause many police dept's have issued these weapons and had no problem with this concern.

My experience has been in night fire qualification scenerios. I wasn't watching the slide, I was trying to keep the front sight on the target. I might add, a lot of this shooting was done at 25 and 50 yards. Flashlights weren't allowed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom