Post 'em

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlt7272

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog that size is too damn nasty to justify putting a good knife into. I shot one that size few years ago and it was one stinky bastard. Let them lie and contribute to the circle of life. As for the bloody deer pics, hell bring them on, I am a fan of all the pics, bloody tongue waggers as well as the washed and posed ones. You all are just making me jealous and feeding my fire to get out there myself.

On a side note, I am still seeing bucks traveling together around my house 3 in the same group for 2 weeks now. I thought this cold snap may start busting them up.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Too much of a business/industry built around those god forsaken things. The only way to be rid of them is to outlaw sport hunting of them. Look at Kansas and watch what happens in Tennesse. Think I'm crazy? It will work.

I strongly disagree with your statement. I don't deny there is business/industry, although minimal, built around them, but how do you think outlawing the sport of hunting them is going to... make them go away? They get bored from not being shot at and die, or go elsewhere? The hogs we have here did not get here overnight. They didn't escape from a game ranch and weren't brought across the river on a trailer. They naturally come from Texas and Arkansas, slowly moving northward. While hunting them for sport has probably contributed to a certain population, you can't contribute the population as a whole to that. Ignoring them will certainly not make them go away.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wanton Waste lot better options than just killing and leave um lay....but that is just the way I was brought up!!!!
Well you have your opinion because you haven't been affected by a bad feral hog problem, yet. I have Roos7a back on this. I have killed as many as 6 hogs in one evening ,did I clean em all, no! I have it down to about 30 minutes per hog doing the actual butchering. But, then all the meat has to be washed up and either iced down or packaged. Then I have to clean up my truck and concrete floor. In the summer when its in the 80s at night, you have to get them clean and on ice really quick or you risk spoilage. Of course your summer hogs are often shot at 915-930 at night just after the sun sets. It can be a tough decision at first whether to stay up half the night cleaning hogs and cleaning up and then have to be up for work in a few hours or to leave em there. When you are on hog #24 in one year get back with us on whether you still clean em all or leave a few lay. Yes I have several people that want em, but most change there mind when I call em at 10 p.m. and say I am bringing em a couple hogs in 30 minutes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hog that size is too damn nasty to justify putting a good knife into. I shot one that size few years ago and it was one stinky bastard. Let them lie and contribute to the circle of life.

Not that I disagree with leaving hogs lay, read my other post. Ask Droberts and Prophet whether a 240-250# boar is good eating or not. One of there buddies needed hogs for a big cookout last weekend. I stayed up 2 nights butchering hogs for them and would have had plenty of 150# hogs to choose from if I didn't have a fire call, just as I was starting in on a couple hogs, for a tank battery fire that kept me out a few hours by the time we waited for the rain and lightening to stop and a company official to arrive before starting fire suppression efforts. As it was about 2:30 in the morning after getting fire out and muddy fire trucks washed up, muddy hose washed up and trucks ready for another call, the 9 hogs from that nights trapping were taken to the coyotes. Since time was getting short for the cookout and hogs were getting spooky I was limited on choice and butchered a 240-250# boar. Soaked the meat in salted ice water and changed the water out twice more before washing them up for delivery. Unless they lied they said it was great.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably the tongue out. I asked the deer to keep it in when I shot, but he did not listen. Sorry (not really) I did not take the time to pretty him up to better light the fire in 300WSM's loins.
After finding him, dragging him, and being excited, a tongue was the last thing on my mind.

Congrats bro. Haters gonna hate ;)

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't made it to my OK place yet, but here is a east Texas doe from this morning. It was a 31 yard shot with a 25 yard trailing job.
img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_001_4.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice looking doe retrieverman!

Thanks, I finally made it to my OK place in Alfalfa county this past weekend and bagged a couple more does and a turkey with my crossbow. The seismic crews were all over the place and had the overall deer movement screwed up, and I am hoping they will be done by muzzleloader season.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_600.jpg
img.photobucket.com_albums_v712_retrieverman_602.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom