Post your Workhorse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Great gun and great story!

Us newer shooters on here (myself definitely included!) could learn so much from some of the shooters we have here. We are lucky to have you guys!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great gun and great story!

Us newer shooters on here (myself definitely included!) could learn so much from some of the shooters we have here. We are lucky to have you guys!

Yeah, but on the flipside of that, guys like you and Soulman aren't your typical twenty-something year olds, either! :thumb:

If I had the means, I would post a pic or two of my 2nd gen Glock 22. I've put close to a thousand rounds thru it, carried it damn near daily for 4+ years and it was issued out to another officer before me. More than likely, he toted it for many a year as well and shot it maybe as much.

The damned thing looks like it's been drug thru a knothole backwards...but it keeps on running. :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
JB you win this thread. Great story..but those grips are fugly!!! At least they worked well. How many times did you shoot it in between rebuilds?

I really didn't keep track, but base on the quantity of bullets I ordered and went through, I'd say probably about 8-10K between rebuilds. It quickly became apparent that unlike with a Glock, I'd actually have to practice with a revolver to do well. The reloads are critical and it takes some effort to get good hits running .18-.22 splits with a 9# DA pull.

All the loads run through this gun would qualify as hot .38 +P loads. You have to make 125 Power Factor for IDPA. There are only a couple of factory target loads that will routinely make power and they're both rated +P.

Running 250-350 round practice sessions with a revolver is pretty abusive. The gun would get too hot to handle and you'd have to set it down for a few minutes while loading up more speedloaders and taping targets. I figure this contributed to frame stretching more than normal, which is why it needed the rebuilds.

Every serious revolver competitor I know has at least two guns, and a couple have several in rotation to spread out the wear and as backup in case one breaks right before a match. I don't remember how many times mine has been borrowed by my shooting partner because his broke right before a big match. But this was my only one when I competed with it. I guess I just got lucky.

Most people feel a revolver is more reliable than an auto. Under normal circumstances I'd agree. But under the strain of competition, they break, hang up, have trigger problems and are generally more finicky and less tolerant of abuse than most autos.

I like to say you can't be a well rounded shooter unless you shoot a revolver. After all, only revolvers are round.

And yes, the grips are quite easily some of the ugliest I've seen. But if you want to see more ugly revolver grips than you can shake a stick at, just go to an ICORE match. A lot of those guys are into function regardless of form. :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Most people feel a revolver is more reliable than an auto. Under normal circumstances I'd agree. But under the strain of competition, they break, hang up, have trigger problems and are generally more finicky and less tolerant of abuse than most autos.

Might have been you, but I'd heard that before, and it makes sense too, as the frame on the revolver takes a lot more of a beating than the semi auto, since the recoil spring takes some of hte energy on the auto.

I like to say you can't be a well rounded shooter unless you shoot a revolver. After all, only revolvers are round.

:rollingla

And yes, the grips are quite easily some of the ugliest I've seen. But if you want to see more ugly revolver grips than you can shake a stick at, just go to an ICORE match. A lot of those guys are into function regardless of form. :)

Ugly or not, the first thing I thought when I saw those was "I'll bet they fit his hand perfectly."

I've held several pretty grips that don't function to place too much stock in form for carry / work guns. I'd still like to get some pretty grips for some of my guns, but they're not carry or competition guns.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here are my shooters!!
ai772.photobucket.com_albums_yy6_HK_Dogg_HK93withbipod001.jpg

[Broken External Image]

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As much as I like my Kimber and you KNOW I like my wheelguns. The title of workhorse has to go to my G23. A workhorse is something that you grab without a thought and have done so repeatedly without dissapointment.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_glock23.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom