Powder Measure Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I currently have the Lee Anniversary Kit and the cheap powder measure that came with it is not very consistent. So I'm thinking about buying a different measure. However, sometime in the next year or so, I want to buy a progressive loader, so my question is...if I buy a measure now, will it fit whatever progressive loader I buy in the future or do I need to buy the same brand? For example will a Redding or RCBS fit a Dillon progressive loader or should I buy a what ever brand of measure to match whatever brand of loader I plan on buying in the future?

What powder measure do you guys recommend? I will be loading .223 and 6.5Grendel to start off with, then evenutally I will also start reloading .40 and .45. For the Grendel I'm using Hogdgon BCL 2 and for .223 I will be using Varget.

Thnks in advance for your advice.

dolang1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my lee pro auto disk powder measure. It came with the Lee classic turret and I think the whole thing was about 200 dollars. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Later Don

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with the same kit. I had the same problems as you and bought a RCBS uniflow with the case activated powder drop. I kept the Lee powder measure and use it when I use a stick powder like IMR 3031. I'm not familiar with the Dillon set up but I have a Lee Classic Cast Turret and a Hornady LNLAP and it works on both of those. I load several calibers and for rifles, 223, 243, 270, 30/30, 308, 30-06, & 45/70 I use the RCBS. For pistols and light cast bullet loads in rifles I use the Lee Pro Auto Disk with adjustable charge bar, I didn't like the double disk kit.

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Varget is an extruded stick type powder and will probably not throw as consistently as the BLC-2 Ball powder, no matter what powder measure you use. That said, I have had good results with my RCBS powder measure. The Redding powder measure is supposed to be good too. Like Rusty said, RCBS sells a case activated accessory for the Uniflow, which should allow it to be used with most progressive presses. I have the Dillon 550B progressive press but only use the Dillon powder measures on it, so I do know know how well the RCBS adaptor works. I do not know of anyone that makes a conversion for the Dillon measure that allows it to be used stand-alone or with any other progressive press. The Dillon powder measures have a type of fail-safe return rod that, as far as I know, will probably only work on a Dillon press. Someone else here might prove me wrong on this, though.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got the Hornady with pistol rotor, and it is spot on every time. I started out with the Lee and had to tap it with a 1/2" wrench on the up stroke and the down stroke to get it to be consistant. PITA, but it worked until I got something else.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm running with a couple of the RCBS right now. Both throw fairly consistent loads but do require a little adjustment along the way. I had one of the Hornaday measures. I liked it quite a bit as it was always spot on accurate. I made the really big mistake of letting someone borrow it to try. That was mistake. Came back locked up. I need to send it off to Hornady to have it fixed......

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone...thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

I'd buy the same brand of powder measure as the type of press your going to get later. Why find out it won't work.

That's what I figured.

I'm running with a couple of the RCBS right now. Both throw fairly consistent loads but do require a little adjustment along the way. I had one of the Hornaday measures. I liked it quite a bit as it was always spot on accurate. I made the really big mistake of letting someone borrow it to try. That was mistake. Came back locked up. I need to send it off to Hornady to have it fixed......

What type of powder are you using?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What type of powder are you using?

A little of everything.
The cylindircal stuff does bite a little every now and then but it cuts right through with little pressure required.
Of late it's been mostly Unique, and those flake tend to cause a bite also.
But like I said a little pressure and off to the races we go.

Cheepshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had the Lee auto disk on a turret press. I really didn't like when I had to use two disks for a powder charge. I later got an RCBS stand alone unit with the micrometer adjustment. I still find that it isn't super accurate. I end up setting it a grain or two light and manually adding a few grains with a dipper once the case is sitting on the digital scale. I know that sounds stupid, and I feel stupid doing it, but I don't trust it enough to set it and forget it. That's what got me away from the progressing turret press, because I had to take each empty case out to tare the scale, then take each full case out to weight the charge, then put it back in to seat the bullet. It defeated the purpose of the press. Stupid, I know.

Jpt

Latest posts

Top Bottom