Primers!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone measure or sort primers by weight or mess with the seating depth of the primer?
I use federal gold match among others and not all primers measure the same or have the same weight.

I was wondering if this has affect on load development?
I would like to hear OSA expert opinions!

Just a 3am thought…

Thanks

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Theres a coule of schools of thought on this topic and the general jist is: nobody can agree. Some do research and say it matters. Another group says it doesn't. And the ones doing it are some of the top shooters in the US, so....
Interesting! If the top brass in the industry is sorting, they must believe it actually helps them or they wouldn’t do it?!.
Surely they are some on this site that has done it?!?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting! If the top brass in the industry is sorting, they must believe it actually helps them or they wouldn’t do it?!.
Unless you're shooting over 1000 yards in a match, don't worry about it. It won't make any significant difference at closer distances.

CanadianRiverRat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From a guy who's shot Palma and benchrest matches over a decade & 1/2, you will NEVER see a measureable difference. Just keep in mind, there's people so ate up with OCD they spend hours each week counting crotch hairs.....just to see if they're going bald.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Primer weigh and seating depth???? In my opinion this is evidence of an entirely new level of obsessive compulsive disorder. Primers seat all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket all the time. Primer weigh is totally insignificant And has zero impact on anything.
I think two words sum this up “Seek help”.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you're shooting over 1000 yards in a match, don't worry about it. It won't make any significant difference at closer distances.
measure for all same diameter and length. weigh the test group individually.
take them apart.
are the differences found in metal or in the pyro components. are the anvils different? shape??
They all “look” the same diameter.
Heights are off just a tad. That’s why I asked if any one experimented with seat depth. You should measure all yours. You would be surprised. I do not want to them apart, my luck I would damage them. I know the medals will weigh different, I figured the primer compound would be about the same per primer?!?!?

Last edited:

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
🤣🤣 well if you talk to my wife she would not argue with you! Generally in my hand loading practices I use a standard lee priming tool. I seat to the bottom of primer pocket. Never have I ever sort by weight or measured them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom