problem loading rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im just getting started loading rifle, ive been doing pistol for a little while. anyhow, i was loading up my first 3 test batches of .223 on me lee turret, im having problems with the powder not going into the case, some gets gummed up and spills out when the case comes out of the powder through die. tried adjusting it up and down, didnt seem to help. lube left in the mouth? static electricity? humidity? i couldnt figure it out. it was worse with h4895 powder than the a2015.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hmm.... this seems like it might work. i will see if i can get it working a little better until i shoot up what i got, then off to find a ball powder. is there a way to tell on powders what they are without looking?

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some powder measures have different sized drops for various case mouth sizes. For instance, you would use a different drop for 223 than you would 308. If the wrong drop is in place, it can spill powder to the sides of the case etc....Ask me how I know? hehe

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have problems with static when using stick powders. I would change to the ball powders as others have suggested. Bought some, supposed, static free funnels from Brownells. Have yet to use them so I guess they really are static free for now anyway. :)

farmer

New to the site!
Reaction score
Try brushing your cases after you chamfer, I bet you've got a bit of lube in the neck. I've had some great luck with Benchmark in my bolt gun. It trickles well so with a good scale you can really dial in your load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom