Propane heat for hunting cabin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Condensation comes from burning propane. It off-gases water vapor, but so does every other gas you could heat with. Butane, natural gas, etc... Just a byproduct of burning. Venting fixes this.
This is 100% for the win. A byproduct of burning any petroleum distillation/natural gas is water vapor. Natural gas, propane, butane, everything.
I experience it every time I'm in the blind. Have to leave a window open to let the water vapor go away.
Bought one of the blue flame propane heaters once to help heat the new shop before putting in a central heat unit. Forgot to turn it off when going to the house. Next morning it looked like a tropical jungle with all the water dripping off of the red iron of the shop.
Never use a swamp cooler either in a shop. Every tool that is owned will have rust on it.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should run a dehumidifier as well, furnaces will put water in the air.

I'd also consider adding one of these to the kit. Better to ensure oxygen levels stay solid, as others have mentioned Ox can be lowered without a CO threat. Anyone with gas/propane systems should have a gas detector and check their systems at least 2x a year (ex: spring/winter solstice)
Thanks. I already bought an equivalent.
klein-et120-combustible-gas-leak-detector.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You really only have the option of venting or finding another source of heat. Depending on how much area you have, one of the Chinese diesel heaters might be an option. They put out dry heat and other than electric or wood I haven't figured out another that does. I've been looking at heating a wood shed out back for a man cave. It may have enough airflow/leakage to let me get by with my kerosene or propane heater. Both emit water vapor. Time will tell...

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it’s one of those empire ventless or the like like said water vapor is part of the combustion process. They all have oxygen depletion sensors to prevent CO output. I’ve seen it worse condensation on cheap single pane windows due the difference in temps.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of our hungint locations uses propane heat to heat the cabin. We will typically turn it on in the mornings when we wake up and get the cabin nice and toasty. Do the same in the evenings. We then turn in it off when we go to bed. Keeps us from worring about CO plus we like sleeping in a cold room. Jsut layer up with blankets and sleep like a baby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom