put a glock 17 gen 3 on layaway over gen 4....good or bad choice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer the Gen3.

Actually, I prefer the M&P, but in a Glock, I prefer the Gen3 over the Gen4.

A Glock with the Gen2 grip with a rail would be the best version for me. My fingers are too fat for the grooves in the newer grips.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have gone with the gen-3. I have a gen-4 and glock has sent me three different RSA assemblies to correct FTF and FTE issues. It didnt make it through a box of 50 rounds of factory ammo before it choked. None of them corrected the problem.

The first time I contacted glock, they told me the gen-4 was ammo specific and had to have NATO spec or hotter ammo to function properly.

I finally had to get a RSA from Glockmeister that was specifically designed for the gen-4 before the problem was fixed.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking like my choice on the gen 3 wasn't to bad.

Well, it certainly wasn't a bad decision.

Some folks had problems with the Gen 4 models. On the other hand, my own Gen 4 G19 has over 1,000 rounds down the pipe with zero problems, and mine has one of the supposed "problem" guide rods. I do prefer the 4 over the 3, but either one will work, and if it doesn't, Glock will fix it.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either one will be ok IMO but I'd prolly went gen4.
The first gen4 I bought (G19) was for my daughter and was ammo specific. We swapped the RSA and probs went away for her. I presently have another 19, 17 and 27 gen4's. None have had any probs yet. Of course the several gen3's I currently have (and the many previously owned) are solid performers too.

N8VE

New to the site!
Reaction score
Interesting point of views! I've been wanting to invest in a glock 17 but am unsure which gen I wanna purchase. I'm leaning toward a gen4 but only factor that makes me mean toward it is the recoil upgrade factor.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went with the Gen-3 G17 for shooting Steel Challenge, and have had no problems, will keep the Gen-3's, and just picked up a NIB Gen-3 G-19 for CCW with a Milt Sparks VM-II. Now to get all the upgrades on both, starting with the sights. I want to get the fiber-optic/night sights for both, extended slide lock/release, and the base plug, with lots of G-17/ G-19 magazines. Most of my other guns are going to get a high cleaning, and get retired to the safe, and maybe a few sold. Several rifle's my wind up on the selling block too.