Quartz Watches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, a quartz watch is a battery-operated watch. Can those be repaired? If so, is there a kind of a price limit where they are not worth it - for example, a good working watch that would be worth 125.00 in good working order, say a fella could get it for $45.00 is that worth it. Maybe that is a bad example but not sure what it cost to work on one and where the price break would be.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a watch repair shop here in Claremore on the 2nd story of the Streeter building downtown.
I don't know anything about it, my last quartz watch with battery was a Seiko which I still have but
never wear any more since I just use my smartphone.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, a quartz watch is a battery-operated watch. Can those be repaired? If so, is there a kind of a price limit where they are not worth it - for example, a good working watch that would be worth 125.00 in good working order, say a fella could get it for $45.00 is that worth it. Maybe that is a bad example but not sure what it cost to work on one and where the price break would be.

Probably need more info to give some advice. Are we talking about a $20 Casio...... or a $2000+ Tag Heuer? If worth $125 new, I not so sure anything outside of a battery change would be worth paying someone to repair or replace the module.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably need more info to give some advice. Are we talking about a $20 Casio...... or a $2000+ Tag Heuer? If worth $125 new, I not so sure anything outside of a battery change would be worth paying someone to repair or replace the module.
Nothing in-particular. That is pretty much kinda what I was looking for - it helped a lot

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Modern Citizen EcoDrives need to be sent to the factory in many instances. The plus side is they test for water tightness and you get back test results post repair, the downside is you may have to send it back a couple of times for misaligned dials and complications that don't work post repair... Ugh. Cost is not unreasonable though.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had the movement in my dad’s Citizen chronograph replaced. I had unknowingly left it in the pocket of a pair of jeans and it made a trip through the washing machine breaking off the stem allowing it to get seriously water contaminated

Watch was not worth what I paid to fix it, but —- outside of that watch and his old Winchester 3030, I don’t have a lot of material items to remember him by so the cost was no object but as I recall it was around 300 bucks
I will post a picture of it When I can.

So my take on it is almost anything can be fixed, but whether it is worth it or not comes down to the old mantra of “it depends”

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Been wearing an inexpensive quartz for a couple days now. Fits well, lightweight for a diver, easy to read, good lume etc.
D30CD403-AD6C-40F1-8267-BAD9492AE67F.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom