Question about a speeding ticket....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I drive all over the state now and got a speeding ticket in Pryor last month. First one in years..... call in to the court clerk today and it's going to be $80 something. Okay no problem... but then she said I could pay an extra $150 and keep it off my record. Not really worried about it as I have no points on my record but I've never heard of this?? Is this just a small town extortion gimmick or what?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the club.

I don't know anything about the $150 fee, sounds fishy. Call the DA in Pryor and confirm.

To be clear.... I have NO problem paying the fine...I was speeding... got caught.... even thought the fine was low. The "extra" fee was just weird to me.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
That extra is for her troubles for not entering it into the system. Welcome to small town America. I'm surprised you didn't have the option of paying the officer cash like they did in Big Cabin years ago. I would pay the 150.00 if I got a letter confirming it wasn't going on my record. The insurance hit will be more than 150.00 over the span of how ever many years they nail you.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there is an officer taking money for citations in the field, then there is a problem. Your license is your bond to appear. I believe it was 1987 when the interstate compact act went into effect. Once the citation is signed, you have agreed to appear or take care of the citation. If you don't do either, license gets suspended and a warrant for failure to appear is issued.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's see if she knows what she's talking about. Have her send you that "extra" information in a emai. You'll have verifiable proof either way it goes....good or bad. I wouldn't send the money first....information first, followed by a check.

Something just doesn't sound right..it might be a-okay. I have some ocean front property in New Mexico if anyone will send me their check first...I'll send the deed after I get the money.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got one from a OHP Trooper out by Woodward sometime back. The DA collects the fee and it's not guaranteed they will accept it. It's not the LEOs making the decision. But to answer your question yes, it is sometimes possible or at least it once was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom