Question about AAC's MITER system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got my SCAR-H SD from Martin last night and its apparently built the same way the SPR is with this AAC MITER system.

Here's my question - when I tighten down this thing, it gets into the gears of the MITER system and starts clicking - the instructions say to tighten until it "bottoms out" and I do and everything is fine - except for the fact that I've got just a tiny bit of play in the can (now, this is minute to the point of probably not being an issue, but I'm paranoid since this is my first can and don't want to take any chances). Is this ok? Its easily less than a millimeter of play, but I can also twist it the same amount and it will move between the two locking MITER gears that its locked into (it won't jump outside of those two gears, but its still enough play that it bothers me).

I can torque on it (with just my hands) another click and it locks in place, but it takes a significant amount of force to make it click one more time. Should I lock it like this or just let it sit in between the two gears? The SPR part of the book apparently has a section on the adjustable POI system where you can adjust it by unscrewing it and leaving it locking between the gears (one click at a time until your POI shift isn't so bad). I know this doesn't apply to my can, but it indicates to me that it being locked between the gears is ok and it doesn't need to be torqued until it just absolutely locks up - but then again, this is on my bolt-gun and I'm guessing that any play will affect accuracy.

I don't want to stress out any of the steel I'm using prematurely, so I'd love to hear anyone's advice on the subject.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of people with the same issue on Silencer Talk. AAC says it is normal and once it gets a little crud in it it will be tight. If you're worried about it give Mike Mers a call. He'll make sure you're taken care of if there are any issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom