Question about AR's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All these brand names basically mean jack. The entry level rifles or kits from well-known brands are all about the same, and can later be converted to high-end rifles just by upgrading the barrel and trigger (and maybe the handguard and bolt carrier group). The only likely reason you'll ever find yourself wanting another upper or lower reciever is so you can build another one!

I'd totally forget about the brand names and just find a good price.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Pick up a stripped lower, or order one off line. Just a tip, if you order the lower and remaining parts from the same vendor at the same time, you will be charged the 11% Federal Excise tax for gun sales.

The Palmetto State lower is $79.95 + shipping ($10) + transfer ($15 est) for a total of $104.95

The Palmetto State 16" Midlength, Lightweight rifle kit is $499.99
add the Magpul MBUS rear for $50
add 3-30rd mags @ $9.99 ea for a total of $29.97
add a basic sling for $9.99
Shipping for that is $21
Total is $610.95

That brings your total to $715.90 +/-.

Recommendations I would make would be to add the MOE furniture: Stock ($40), Grip($11), and Handguard($20) if possible. That would add $71, and make your total $786.90.

If I were starting out new right now with what I've learned since I bought my first AR, with a ~$750 budget, that's what I would be ordering.

Sam Shoun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick up a stripped lower, or order one off line. Just a tip, if you order the lower and remaining parts from the same vendor at the same time, you will be charged the 11% Federal Excise tax for gun sales.

The Palmetto State lower is $79.95 + shipping ($10) + transfer ($15 est) for a total of $104.95

The Palmetto State 16" Midlength, Lightweight rifle kit is $499.99
add the Magpul MBUS rear for $50
add 3-30rd mags @ $9.99 ea for a total of $29.97
add a basic sling for $9.99
Shipping for that is $21
Total is $610.95

That brings your total to $715.90 +/-.

Recommendations I would make would be to add the MOE furniture: Stock ($40), Grip($11), and Handguard($20) if possible. That would add $71, and make your total $786.90.

If I were starting out new right now with what I've learned since I bought my first AR, with a ~$750 budget, that's what I would be ordering.

Ha, I was just looking at the exact same kit thinking I should post it... then thinking wait.... maybe I should just buy one!

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out Armslist. I always see ARs for decent prices on there, parts too. It is way more fun to build it though. That way you can always mod it however you want!

Latest posts

Top Bottom