Question about Ticks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for wisdom from fellow OSA members. Of course I'm spraying the yard for the little buggers, but is there anything internal I can give to my dog? I have read that garlic works....even apple cider vinegar, but does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?
The wife is taking our little dog in to ask the vet tomorrow, but I thought I would pick some brains here.

Thanks in advance............:ou

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have a large number of ticks on our property. Impossible to spray it all, so we treat the dogs to reduce the number of ticks that make it into their skin and on us as well.

Frontline monthly and Ivermectin (Cattle injectable form) 1ml/100lb dog weight given orally, monthly as well. The Ivermectin only works for a day or so, but will kill all the fleas and ticks attached. A bonus is that it covers as very inexpensive monthly heartworm prophylaxis. It's potentially toxic to some breeds, so do your own homework if you choose to use it.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We use 7-dust. You have to make sure you get the low percent 7 dust. It will take care of ticks, flees, etc.
Dust the dogs, and their beds. My outside dog sleeps anywhere, so have to dust her about every 2 weeks.
Our vet told us about it, and we have been using it for years.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use revolution. Its a combined ant-flea/tick + anti-heartworm. Its a topical medicine that is rapidly absorbed an administered behind the shoulder-blades. Its alcohol based and when applied rapidly absorbs and doesn't leave residue like frontline.

We used it only on out big dog last summer and she never got ticks when we took her out to the canadian river whereas my brother-in-laws two labs got quite a few.

badrinker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Revolution is absorbed systemically, but is applied topically. There are NO oral tick killers.
Revolution is only fair to poor (as Pfizer's reps will attest) on ticks.
Your best bets for tick are 1) a dedicated tick collars (NOT the generic "flea and tick" collars) like Preventic, Scalibor etc. Good luck finding these as some of them are on manufacturer back-order, and some are crazy expensive.
Or, 2) topicals like frontline, petarmour, advantix, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom