Question for Plumbers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think cpvc is common for water supply lines around here. Maybe in trailer houses or rvs. Most stuff is pex now, pvc is standard for drains but being as they are not pressurized, it’s works pretty well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t think cpvc is common for water supply lines around here. Maybe in trailer houses or rvs. Most stuff is pex now, pvc is standard for drains but being as they are not pressurized, it’s works pretty well.
RV's are all PEX.
I'm not sure if they still use cast iron for drains in homes with a crawl space as those aren't built much anymore?

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CPVC is a yellowish/white made for hot water. CPVC is smaller in diameter (same as copper) than PVC. Most of the issues occur when people use regular PVC glue on the joints --- no bueno --- they will fail. Regular PVC is white and used for cold applications only.

The splits on the CPVC are usually caused by freezing.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CPVC is a yellowish/white made for hot water. CPVC is smaller in diameter (same as copper) than PVC. Most of the issues occur when people use regular PVC glue on the joints --- no bueno --- they will fail. Regular PVC is white and used for cold applications only.

The splits on the CPVC are usually caused by freezing.

CPVC suffers from the same thing all non-flexible solid pipe does, PVC or CPVC. It doesn't expand or contract very easily and just busts when the water inside freezes. PEX is way better than CPV C, i'd rather use copper than CPVC, though it suffers from the same rigidity as CPVC, it atleast allows moderate expansion, and isn't nearly as brittle.

I like how the lady in the video was touching a pvc drain pipe when talking about CPVC....like, what?

as a plumber, if my **** was run in CPVC i would repipe it in PEX. I'd only use CPVC in very specific situations, such as drainage.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That TV station is in Florida. I bet they had some freezing weather. Notice the lack of any insulation in the affected areas?

The stuff that gives me the heebies is the gray polybutalene. That stuff is evil!

Latest posts

Top Bottom