Question for the "gunsmiths"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this......anyways, I am wanting to blend a magwell to my 1911...it needs to be fitted, there are lil spots that need to be filed down...my question is....do you guys use files or are there special stones for that type of work? I am really wanting to do this myself, but not sure where to start when it comes to actually removing some of the metal.....any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wow...why didn't I think of searching youtube?...Not trying to be a smartass, but I asked because I couldn't find what I was looking for, there are lots of install videos, but not fitting videos. I know there are some knowledgeable guys on here, and I would like their input.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I used a file on mine, then touched up some of the rougher marks with coarse/medium sandpaper. That was on a stainless gun, so I wasn't too worried about finish.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Small, fine tooth files work in corners, but I end up using my Dremel (With a delicate touch and appropriate stone). Smooth with Cratex fine bullet point bits, then if needed, hand stone it with a triangle stone. Brown Scotchbrite for finish. Cold blue to offer a tiny amount of corrosion resistance or Cerakote, unless stainless.

Searching http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi helps a lot. MSC or even an Amazon search may get you good tools/ abrasives for less than Midway, Brownells, etc.

Remember, bright light, reading glasses (Even if you don't wear them, a cheap low power pair helps) and a steady vise or fixture will reduce mistakes. When practical, remove material from the least expensive part. Mark mating surfaces with a Sharpie to see where interferance is occuring.

Have fun and post pics of problems.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use files to remove larger amounts of metal, then judicious use of a Dremel to blend everything together. I finish with fine grit sandpaper (usually 1000). I did an EGW 2 piece magwell earlier this year and then sent it to Springer Precision for Ion-Bond to match the flat black finish of my CRG. I left the frame blend in the white for visual reference when doing reloads. I just apply Rain-X to aid in corrosion resistance. I'll try to take a pic of the finished product to post later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom