Question for the old Chevy truck guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My neighbor passed last year and his Daughter is starting to liquidate his stuff.

One of the items is his '72 Chevy C20 long bed truck. Looks like it is a 3/4 ton with a 400 motor in it. The truck is in great shape for it's age, orange and white, I think it has 69K miles, the paint is a bit faded, but overall it is pretty decent for a 39 year old truck.

The Daughter and I are discussing what it is worth, she thinks it is worth $7K, and I think realistically it is somewhere between $3500-$5500. If it were a short bed 1/2 ton I think it would valued at the higher end, this truck to me is more of the 'Camper Special" even though it doesn't state it.

So without pictures I know it is hard to say, but what do you guys think, are these things really worth $7K? Or am I closer to the value in the $3500-$5500 range?

Thanks

.45Fats

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm partial to that body style personally but I can tell you I know of one shortbed in about the shape you described just sold for 3500 and I wouldn't give that unless it was a full restoration...but that's me and I'm a cheap bastard.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being a 3/4 ton will make it worth less then a 1/2 ton, unless it is 4x4. What options does the truck have? I have owned around 15 or more of the 67-72 trucks in the past. If it is a basic 3/4 ton, you are alot closer on the $3500 mark.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Being a 3/4 ton will make it worth less then a 1/2 ton, unless it is 4x4. What options does the truck have? I have owned around 15 or more of the 67-72 trucks in the past. If it is a basic 3/4 ton, you are alot closer on the $3500 mark.

That was my thinking as well.

It has AC, although the compressor is locked up. Camper mirrors, a headache rack, etc.

I was thinking $3500 or so but the Daughter thinks it is worth way more as the truck gets alot of attention when they drive it.

I will get some pics up later.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics will help. Does it have power steering and brakes? You will most likely want to pull the mirrors off and go with something small and sporty. The 72 is my fav by far. You will have to go with have ton spindals to run sporty wheels. I would replace the AC with a Vintage Air unit. Less problems. Does it have the steel bed or wood? If it has the wood, you will want to give it a good look. If you can get it at the right price, you can put some money into it and have a beautiful truck.
Here is a pic of my last 72.

ai785.photobucket.com_albums_yy137_Biggsly_RICK1.jpg

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its worth whatever you are willing to pay for it. If you would pay $7,000 then that what its worth TO YOU. I would make an offer for whatever you are willing to spend and if she doesn't take it, fine...let her sit on it for awhile , becaue I'm sure she isn't gonna get 7 grand for it, then make your offer again. Good Luck!!!!

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the one that I have been wanting for years.
[Broken External Image]
I pass him all the time comming home from work. This truck is awsome.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Definitely need pics before I could even make a guess. C-20's are not as valuable as shortbed C-10's obviously...but I've seen cherry C-20's in survivor condition bring very decent money. Original paint, decals, manual, hubcaps, clean interior, low miles, etc. It just depends on who wants it. If it's not close to that condition, then you are close in your guess. The low side at that.

Here is the one that I have been wanting for years.

I pass him all the time comming home from work. This truck is awsome.

That is absolutely sick. Do you know the specs on it? Judging by the rear rubber I'm thinking it's gotta be interesting. I'm wondering where he got those wheels/caps. Owner has style.

Latest posts

Top Bottom