quick question for recurve bow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoLee1868

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So i have a PSE Kingfisher at 45lbs i use for Bowfishing. Its the only bow ive owned or shot.

Been wanting to take off the AMS reel and put on a cheap 1-2 pin sight on it for target shooting and taking out some stupid critters around the house.

any recommendations on sights?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Ben Pearson target master that was my first bow a recurve.
I practiced with it a bunch .. using carbon arrows and my fingers for grasping the string.

No sights were ever needed just practice and instinct shoot from different distances on each shot.

Buddy i got it from had some stick pins taped to the side of the bow for sights.
I got it when i was in 9th grade from him for 7 bucks.
My smallest target was a dove on the ground,, made for a nice lunch.
Got many cats and squirrel's and a skunk along with fish and other critters with that bow.

I took a (hail marry) shot at a deer running over 100 yards from me.
I lead it about 40 feet and aimed very high.. last day of the season figured a lung shot could happen.

I watched as the deer ran cross ways in front of me and the arrow flew through the sky what an arch!
The deer and arrow arrived at the same point at the same time,,, right center mass ....But too low, the arrow went right between the legs under the belly .. i watched the deer kick the arrow and the arrow turned around and hit the ground.

I was 18 at the time and was pretty happy i got that close.
Those recurves are sure fun to shoot.

You may try taping pins/ tooth picks to the bow.

Sights to me were a handicap.. always trying to estimate range and pick and rely on a pin.
Instinct worked better for me.
I still shoot sometimes with instinct vs the pins on the different bows i have.
Instinct will not group as tight as pins but always in the plate with instinct.

You judge distance wrong with pins and you are way off.

That is why i say never shoot from the same place 2 times.. or 2x in a row anyway.

I like to move from spots,, hide behind a tree shoot off the top of the roof.
shoot kneeling.. shoot over barrels or beside them.
Sometimes walk away from the target then turn and shoot.

A buddy of mine would come shoot with me and we would do the walk away and the other person would call deer and you would stop turn and draw and shoot.. we gave 5 seconds for this.

5 was much much too long.. so we went to Deer!! one thousand one one thousand two one thousand three and way before 3 the shot was fired and Styrofoam block was hit.. we had a catalpa leaf stuck in the Styrofoam for a target.
AAAHHHH!! fun times.

I did stick a running hog with that bow from about 30 yards but the arrow went into the front of the back leg and that sucker ran off with my arrow with me in chase.
It escaped onto private property never seen again.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Shouldn't be any different that shooting fish, other than no refraction. Shoot 50 times a day at 10y and it will just start to happen. Get into a pattern of how you draw, anchor point consistency, and long you hold before you release......I release as soon as my thumb knuckle touches the corner of my mouth. It's all about muscle memory and repetition.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned Ben Pearson bows, a PSE Coyote and a couple other recurves, in addition to compounds...don't worry about sights, they are for compounds, you won't need them on your recurve. I used to bowfish all the time, if you can hit a fish you have the skill to shoot other critters above land. All you have to do is practice and I'll bet it won't take long before you can shoot just as well above water.

I really love to get another takedown recurve, I haven't shot a bow in years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom