Quite a difference in case length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s your answer.

Attachments

• 93C2E0B6-2D11-4A38-A10A-A9A4B4EE85C0.png
    93C2E0B6-2D11-4A38-A10A-A9A4B4EE85C0.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 22

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know the factory load from the Hornady brass? Seems like I read something about shorter length in one of their FTX reloading prints somewhere. It could have been from a phone call to tech.
They do this with their 444Marlin cartridges with the 265gr FTX projos. To reload with their projos, you are supposed to trim the case. They must do it with some of their pistol cartridges as well.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know the load. I realize that in a pistol cartridge it probably doesn’t make a huge difference but if I guy was dabbling at the top end of hot, there could be some issues.
That's why you pay attention to all the specs in the reloading manuals. They have case length and also cartridge OAL for each bullet.

If you only look at OAL, yes, you could get into trouble but I doubt it would be anything catastrophic unless you were running a very fast powder at high end magnum pressures which isn't likely to be found in a manual. It would probably just amount to some difficult extraction with appropriate powders for full house magnum loads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom