Ram's new EcoDiesel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are guys really getting 22mpg out of their ecoboosts? Just curious. I'll be looking for something by the end of the year, and all fo this interests me.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...and the 700 miles per tank doesn't mean diddly when you compare 2 vehicles with 2 different size fuel tanks. Of course if your diesel has a 25-30 gal tank, and your gasser has a 20-25 gal tank, you are going to get more miles out of that tank, even with only slightly higher MPG because there's more fuel. You have to compare cost per mile in the two.

Current rates I saw @ my last fill up (Friday 1/31/14):
Gas: $3.02/gal
Diesel: $3.40/gal

Eco-Boost rating from Ford's webiste: 22MPG Highway 22MPG@$3.02/gal= $0.1372/per mile

Dodge rating per the article at 28MPG Highway 28MPG@$3.40/gal= $0.1214/per mile

Not much of a direct difference in price per mile. I think you'll get better life out of the diesel than the gas. You will very rarely get a long life out of a gas fed turbo engine in comparison to a diesel, the high rpm's required to make power in the gasser are any enemy to longevity.

I personally know of no one that can get 22 mpg with the EB. The guys I know that have them get around 17 and horrific while towing. Don't believe me, read here http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-only-real-world-mileage-87559/index341/

Now the Ram has not been EPA rated yet but in all of the testing done by various automotive testers, the ecodiesel has gotten a max of around 28 and averaged about 25 in mixed driving. We don't know the real world MPGs yet but this is the best information we have to work with.

If Ram can actually deliver these MPGs then they are going to have a huge advantage over the Ford ecoboost which advertises big numbers but fails to deliver.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally know of no one that can get 22 mpg with the EB. The guys I know that have them get around 17 and horrific while towing. Don't believe me, read here http://www.f150forum.com/f70/ecoboost-only-real-world-mileage-87559/index341/

Now the Ram has not been EPA rated yet but in all of the testing done by various automotive testers, the ecodiesel has gotten a max of around 28 and averaged about 25 in mixed driving. We don't know the real world MPGs yet but this is the best information we have to work with.

If Ram can actually deliver these MPGs then they are going to have a huge advantage over the Ford ecoboost which advertises big numbers but fails to deliver.

Working off the 17, and calling it an even 18, @ $3.02/gal, you are looking at $0.167777/per mile, which equates to a difference in $4.63 in fuel per 100 miles, or $46 (half a tank of fuel) over 1k miles. Really not THAT much of a difference for a highway driver between the two. The gains of one over the other will come from towing, or if a person lets the truck idle frequently (IE a work truck). (This is the difference in 28 MPG vs 18 MPG) Over the life, say 100k miles, $4,600 fuel difference. So unless it's something you are going to be towing with, using for work, or are planning on keeping for the long haul (100k +), the MPG between the two shouldn't make the decision for you. It should be more on a what you like basis.

If the diesel wasn't shrouded by the Dodge name, I would think about it. They would have to have an IRON CLAUDE b2b warranty for me to even think twice about them.

I'll stick to my older bow ties for my trucks for the time being. I have 314k on my current bow tie, and still going strong, minus some ugly interior, lol.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are guys really getting 22mpg out of their ecoboosts? Just curious. I'll be looking for something by the end of the year, and all fo this interests me.

That was just the EPA number I got off the Ford website. (I had to run a virus scan after visiting their site, just to make sure the Ford funk didn't infect my computer. :hot:)

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the diesel wasn't shrouded by the Dodge name, I would think about it. They would have to have an IRON CLAUDE b2b warranty for me to even think twice about them.

Funny, I have the same feelings about Ford. Had to put waaaay too much money in repairs to a truck that never really did any real work. Ram has been good to me so far. Really good when you count the work trucks that get some heavy, daily abuse.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny, I have the same feelings about Ford. Had to put waaaay too much money in repairs to a truck that never really did any real work. Ram has been good to me so far. Really good when you count the work trucks that get some heavy, daily abuse.

I think every brand has their lemons, and more often than not, all the major brands are good trucks in their respective regards. There are just those ones that leave a bad taste in some people's mouth, and more often than not, those are the ones you read/hear about. People are more apt to talk about bad than good when it comes to a brand. I just don't want to be the one that gets the one that takes the dump on me, lol! That is one of the reason I prefer used, I'm pretty mechanically savvy, and I can catch MOST problems on a test drive/inspection. I bring a Snap-On computer with me and hook up on the test drive, and my mechanic as well, and watch everything real time on what is going on. If the dealership has a problem with it, I don't buy there, only had an issue once, and as soon as I walked, they changed their mind and let me. I ended up buying the car from them (my wife's current car). (sorry about running off on a tangent there)

I had a 85 Ford truck that I used and abused for YEARS when I was a teenage, that 302 took all the punishment I could give it. Had a '79 Chevy (350) truck that I put through the ringer as well. Had a 80's Dodge, (I think, it was a square body), that was a POS. You win some, you lose some.

My Dad's 06 (i think) Duramax has been though either 2 or 3 sets of injectors (at $8k each time they have to be changed) in 200k miles, but has been extremely reliable and gets good MPG even fully loaded (work truck). His '12 or '13 truck with a 327 is a dog on fuel, and loves as much as you can give it.

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Working off the 17, and calling it an even 18, @ $3.02/gal, you are looking at $0.167777/per mile, which equates to a difference in $4.63 in fuel per 100 miles, or $46 (half a tank of fuel) over 1k miles. Really not THAT much of a difference for a highway driver between the two. The gains of one over the other will come from towing, or if a person lets the truck idle frequently (IE a work truck). (This is the difference in 28 MPG vs 18 MPG) Over the life, say 100k miles, j. So unless it's something you are going to be towing with, using for work, or are planning on keeping for the long haul (100k +), the MPG between the two shouldn't make the decision for you. It should be more on a what you like basis.

I'll stick to my older bow ties for my trucks for the time being. I have 314k on my current bow tie, and still going strong, minus some ugly interior, lol.

That $4,600 per 100k is less than one injector change not to mention a more expensive service cycle. The new fuel systems don't take well to dirty fuel.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fiat makes the engine. It has been in Europe for many years.

Moto Vitori makes the motor. It is a GM designed motor that GM chose not to use because of their impending bankruptcy. Fiat isn't making it, they are buying it. Fiat does own them. It could still end up in GM trucks too. Chrysler/Fiat does not have an exclusive deal with Moto Vitori.

Chrysler is not doing anything new by putting a diesel in a half ton. GM did it for years. GM put diesels into Suburbans and Blazer/Tahoes too. Ford once was putting diesels in US Rangers and Fiestas, there were even diesels in Isuzu/Luv pickups. The GM Duramax is an Isuzu motor. There will be four cylinder Duramax motors in the Colorado/Canyon pickups in 2016. Nissan is going to have a 5.0 Cummins V8 in their half to pickups real soon too.

Chevy is putting a diesel in the Cruze compact car this year.

Last edited:

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
remember those epa ratings are done via the manuf. then the gov kinda checks the data. its also tested in optimum settings IE highway zero traffic on their test loops and city traffic zero traffic on their test loops.

diesels also last 2 to 3 times as long before rebuild and rebuilding is almost surely possible where as gas the engine may just be wore out needing complete replacement.

my problem is ecoboost doesnt benefit in town where i normally will be driving. especially since this state doesnt know how to do traffic light timing which would let a driver drive the speed limit and hit green lights. right now on elgen you cant drive through without hitting every other light. on cincinatti it requires you to drive 15 mph to hit the lights after 6pm but during the day 6 to 6pm you will hit at least one light.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder what this engineering marvel is going to cost? A half ton on the farm makes no sense. A half ton hotshot rig makes no sense. I guess if you are hauling a two horse, it might work. My understanding of the new IRS rules, no longer. Allows you to take accelerated depreciation. If you are using it to haul out of Wal-Mart. Hats off to you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom