Random stuff you have made

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The latest rage in 3D printing is this articulated dragon and I just had to print one. Takes about 15 hours to do.
View attachment 239617
If I may ask, what was the cost of the plastic material used? I know very little about 3D printing (lol, and a bunch of other stuff)

It looks great btw. :drunk2:
___

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I may ask, what was the cost of the plastic material used? I know very little about 3D printing (lol, and a bunch of other stuff)

It looks great btw. :drunk2:
___
Probably $0.25. A roll of filament (1KG) is around $20. I have a rainbow colored one that is printing now, that the filament was $30, but it still will be cheap.
PXL_20211212_000434997.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably $0.25. A roll of filament (1KG) is around $20. I have a rainbow colored one that is printing now, that the filament was $30, but it still will be cheap.View attachment 239686
Wow, color me impressed. I was wondering how many dollars. :D

That multi-colored one is looking great. Thanks for the info.
:drunk2:
___

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, color me impressed. I was wondering how many dollars. :D

That multi-colored one is looking great. Thanks for the info.
:drunk2:
___
You still have to factor in the cost of the printer, but it's definitely a capital expense. They run anywhere from $250 on up, with this one running $1,000 assembled and $750 as a kit.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You still have to factor in the cost of the printer, but it's definitely a capital expense. They run anywhere from $250 on up, with this one running $1,000 assembled and $750 as a kit.
Yeah, I googled that model after your reply. Fortunately I have cheaper hobbies that I can't get around to anyway. :D

That model seems to turn out great stuff though.
:thumb:
___

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I googled that model after your reply. Fortunately I have cheaper hobbies that I can't get around to anyway. :D

That model seems to turn out great stuff though.
:thumb:
___
It does, my old printer was a $650 chinese job that just wasn't cutting it. It's amazing what that few extra hundred will buy you.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an Afinia printer about 9 years ago. It is a pile of junk compared to the printers available today. Today's printers are better quality, larger print surfaces, and cheaper than when I got into the hobby. It gave out on me a few years ago and I haven't replaced it.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can you enlighten us on the differences?
Design mainly. New one runs on rods instead of wheels on an extrusion. The bearings are Japanese instead of Chinese and it has more integrated sensors (like filament run out) that will save you from running out of filament. It's just overall a better designed and put together machine, it's made in the Czech Republic. What the old one was doing is having a layer shift, so things didn't look quite right after printing. The level of detail I can get on my new Prusa never ceases to amaze me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom