Rant Mode: Can we discuss the pathetic retail store scope ring situation in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Burris Zee don't cost any more than Millett angle-locs, and are far far better.

Excellent point! :D

Besides, those are two completely unrelated subjects. The issue olyeller brought up is can you/do you make money on gun accessories? Regardless of which type is stocked, the answer is yes, you do; that's precisely how you make money. As to what to carry, I suppose it's a function of what's the most profitable; maybe the markup on Millett's is higher than Burris Zee, even if they sell for about the same - that'd be my guess. But then you gotta look at whether they're selling. I guess I can see why it's happening if the margin on Milletts are higher. 99% of people buy the cheapest (as you say), *among those that are in stock* - so just stock the Milletts & make more money, until people find out that you lose your zero every time you tighten a screw, and then people go buy a substitute online (but you've already sold the Millett). Still, if you offered the substitute ALSO, then you could ding the customer twice, if your only goal is money, not satisfaction for the customer.

You used the word "guess" a lot which is the problem. You don't know that the margin on Millett is better then Burris. I'm not sure why you even keep using those as examples? I don't sell cheap stuff and listed two of the companies I do sell. Where you got off on this customer "ding" stuff and satisfaction is beyond me.

I'll state this again. The majority of the shooting community do not buy the most quality stuff and do not shoot a lot of rounds. So your point about them not holding zero is worthless because the vast majority will not even notice it because they a) don't shoot enough or b) won't spend even more money to replace it.

If you want high quality stuff there are local people that can get it. You just will not find anyone that has a "selection" on hand because as two people who are in the "business" just told you.... they don't sell well. So you have two choices... either order from an online retailer or talk to a local shop and have them order them for you.

Reaction score
Well, OK, maybe you are right about quality rings not selling well if stocked.

They'd certainly make money off of ME, but I guess there are very few others in my particular boat, in light of this which I suppose you are probably right about:

So your point about them not holding zero is worthless because the vast majority will not even notice it because they a) don't shoot enough or b) won't spend even more money to replace it.

Still, the fact remains that you do most certainly make more off accessories than off of guns; that much the H&H employees are right about. That's true for online or not. Do you sell guns in your business?

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a third person who will tell you the same thing. I have the expensive items, mid priced items and the lowest cost items in my shop, almost every time the customer will choose the least expensive item, not looking at quality, instead looking at price.

Once in a while I will have a person who has done some research and knows exactly what he wants and asks for that item by name. But those high price items just collect dust, and is a place that my investment is stagnating and can be doing better some where else. It is a shame because those items are far superior in quality than the less expensive ones. But most people are just happy that they have a weapon that looks the part.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
totally agree with basic premise of rant... only the same in Tulsa.

when you do fine a quality steel set of rings... usually at a gun show... they want an arm and a leg. ridiculous to pay $150 for a nice set of steel rings.

I've gotten em for air rifles for ... ie same quality for $$25-$50 range.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CY just drove home my point. Most people think air rifle rings are the "same quality" as Badgers so why pay more?

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CY just drove home my point. Most people think air rifle rings are the "same quality" as Badgers so why pay more?

Here we go...

Quick make a ring chart!

See everyone wants you to buy tactical equipment. I bought a Tasco scope the other day that is just as good as any Leupold or Zeiss out there for a lot less money!! Save the other money for ammo...... OK, I am soooo kidding.... :wink2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom