Rant Mode: Can we discuss the pathetic retail store scope ring situation in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dan--I feel your pain.

The majority of the shooting community do not buy the most quality stuff and do not shoot a lot of rounds. So your point about them not holding zero is worthless because the vast majority will not even notice it because they a) don't shoot enough or b) won't spend even more money to replace it.

This is so true. The people that DO shoot enough to fully realize the difference in the equipment spend so much money on ammo / components that the cost of setting up the weapon correctly is almost irrelevant.

I know I'm not yet in that category, not for lack of trying. I spend twice as much on ammo as I do on new gear.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
those of us that shoot lots of both... know magnum springer air rifle's ring requirements are much higher than, all but the largest of firearms.

yet costs a fraction of firearm rings.

Dan--I feel your pain.

This is so true. The people that DO shoot enough to fully realize the difference in the equipment spend so much money on ammo / components that the cost of setting up the weapon correctly is almost irrelevant.

I know I'm not yet in that category, not for lack of trying. I spend twice as much on ammo as I do on new gear.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You know, I would like to have a chart, but one that only includes important stuff. I don't know what makes a ring good, so for me, when I'm looking at middle of the road quality, it would be nice to be able to accurately compare brands, so I could decide if the difference between $30 and $50 is worth it, or $50 and $70. Right now, I know I can't justify spending $150 on rings alone for a rifle that still has the factory barrel on it because I know that that same amount spent on ammo would get me a lot farther.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I, for one, would like to rant on the pathetic retail store cotton jag patch situation in OKC area. I mean, c'mon, they expect us to be happy with those little squares of kleenex?

Brick n Mortar Retailers can't win, can they? In large part due to finicky, demanding, and particular buyers like this.

Buy off the internet for pete's sake. Or try Gene Sears. Save the rants for meaningful issues. :violin:

Reaction score
Brick n Mortar Retailers can't win, can they? In large part due to finicky, demanding, and particular buyers like this.

Buy off the internet for pete's sake

Sorry, but that's quite possibly the silliest thing I've ever read. Sentence one implicitly puts the blame upon on me and others like me for the demise of retail stores vis a vis internet sales, instead of putting the blame on the retailers where it lies, for not stocking what we want.

Then in the next sentence, you specifically advise me to go buy from the internet instead, when my stated goal here is to buy locally, to help out the brick and mortar guys, and the local economy (if they would just stock what I wanted). So me buying off the net will help the local guys, how, exactly, rhodesbe, since you seem to have some concern for them?

Originally Posted by _CY_ View Post
those of us that shoot lots of both... know magnum springer air rifle's ring requirements are much higher than, all but the largest of firearms.

yet costs a fraction of firearm rings.

Scope requirements, yes, ring requirements, not so much.

Not true at all - the rings have to be higher quality as well, due to the violent two-way recoil on magnum springers, to prevent slippage, just as the scope has to be higher quality. CY is exactly correct.

NiKat, did you get my PMs?

To clarify, you don't have to spend more than $35 for a HIGH-quality set of rings. Except you can't find those locally. I'm not talking here about the high-end tactical type stuff.

Oh....
Save the rants for meaningful issues.

Were you under the impression that we were solving world hunger here on the gun boards? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Top Bottom