RCBS Lube Die

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I take it that you are sizing / cleaning / trimming in one step followed by a second round for priming / charging / seating.

I'm experimenting with an RCBS X-Die which claims to prevent the brass from growing during sizing. My hope is to perform all reloading steps with each press stroke while eliminating the need to hand lube / spray and handle the cases.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I take it that you are sizing / cleaning / trimming in one step followed by a second round for priming / charging / seating.

I'm experimenting with an RCBS X-Die which claims to prevent the brass from growing during sizing. My hope is to perform all reloading steps with each press stroke while eliminating the need to hand lube / spray and handle the cases.

On that X-DIe, just make sure you are following the instructions. If you are starting with once fires (and technically all new brass should be treated as well), you MUST make sure you trim them just under the standard length.

I was a moron and had to chase down problems which could have been cured had I just read that all cases need to be initially trimmed to just under.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

On a slow day I take the brass and measure it. Anything more than my cut off length (.010" less than maximum, in my setup after sizing the cases grow by approx .010") goes for trimming, the rest goes in a bag for spray lube.
The ones that need to be trimmed get cut by a 3 way RCBS cutter that shortens, chamfers and deburrs at the same time. After that they go into the spray bag.
The lubed cases dry and are easy to handle, I start the reloading process and when done I dump the loaded rounds in to the vibratory case cleaner.
I trim before I size.
I am not satisfied with the way I do it and I am looking for a better way. I don't use a lube or X die (I have an x die, just never bothered to try it.)

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On that X-DIe, just make sure you are following the instructions. If you are starting with once fires (and technically all new brass should be treated as well), you MUST make sure you trim them just under the standard length.

I was a moron and had to chase down problems which could have been cured had I just read that all cases need to be initially trimmed to just under.

Good advice - Did your brass eventually "grow" to the desired length after trimming 0.02 under and running through the X-Die?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a follow-up for anyone interested. The RCBS Lube Die worked great. I've setup the press for Lube, Size, Primer, Powder, Powder Check, and Bullet Seating all in one full press stroke with no sticky fingers from handling lubed cases. After the loading session I wiped each round with a damp cloth to remove the residual lube and boxed them up.

I'm hopefully the X-Die works as advertised and eliminates the need to trim this lot of brass in the future. If so, I cannot think of a faster and cleaner way to reload bottleneck cartridges than using the Lube die and X-Die combination.

Latest posts

Top Bottom