Real Estate/Land Use Attorney on board?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone here an Attorney that deals with Land Use and such for Oklahoma County? I guess it doesn't specifically have to be Oklahoma County. Maybe I just need to be educated. TIA

Scenario: I own some acreage that has limited/no road access I would like to sell. Not sure if trying to gain access through a neighboring road is best or try and sell to neighbors adjoining property. The guy on the south side and west side both have tree stands close to property lines so I assume they bow hunt. Road access is somewhat complicated based on what I have been told before. It is a private road numbered by OKC but is gravel and supposedly maintained by the 8 properties who live of said road. OKC told me even though it has a street sign it is private and not maintained by County hence I don't have permission to use it. The road dead ends against my property.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are landlocked which is a real PITA. Bottom line is that Oklahoma law says you will get access to your land. Buttttt... you are going to have to go to court to get it and you will also have to pay for a road into your place and pay the owner(s) of the land that it crosses for the easement. And you have to pay for whatever route the court orders which might end up being the longest possible route into your place, just depends on the circumstances of the layout and how much fuss those owners put up. It could entail fencing, gates, cattle guards, tin horns, etc. all of which you will pay for.

I'd contact the owners of the existing road and see if they will let you into whatever agreement they have amongst themselves, "join their group" in other words. They may be open to divying up the costs for the road to another owner.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are landlocked which is a real PITA. Bottom line is that Oklahoma law says you will get access to your land. Buttttt... you are going to have to go to court to get it and you will also have to pay for a road into your place and pay the owner(s) of the land that it crosses for the easement. And you have to pay for whatever route the court orders which might end up being the longest possible route into your place, just depends on the circumstances of the layout and how much fuss those owners put up.

I'd contact the owners of the existing road and see if they will let you into whatever agreement they have amongst themselves, "join their group" in other words. They may be open to divying up the costs for the road to another owner.

^^ All this.

10Seconds

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are landlocked which is a real PITA. Bottom line is that Oklahoma law says you will get access to your land. Buttttt... you are going to have to go to court to get it and you will also have to pay for a road into your place and pay the owner(s) of the land that it crosses for the easement. And you have to pay for whatever route the court orders which might end up being the longest possible route into your place, just depends on the circumstances of the layout and how much fuss those owners put up. It could entail fencing, gates, cattle guards, tin horns, etc. all of which you will pay for.

Good advice. And if you can secure the right to use their road, it will make your property more valuable too.

CODE_3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

this.........

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think that is totally true.
Easement has to be given to landlocked property and not neccessarily at a cost to the owner of said landlocked parcel.
I fought this for almost a year and lost.
I still own the easement but can't gate it or lock it out. I also don't usually upkeep it. They wanted it so they can care for it.

Make sure you get enough for utilities and access, which if I remember the standard is 30ft in Okla, unless otherwise agreed upon.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Paul Harvey has to speak...

It's more complicated then what I wrote. The north side of my land has road frontage but due to a huge flood zone in the middle of my land the City (OKC) won't let me build anything on the south side (about 25 wooded acres). The access I wish to gain is from the SE side of my land.

I'll add this. I spent a couple thousand dollars on an engineer who specializes in flood zones. He submitted drafts to the Corps of Engineers and nothing he sent was approved. After it was all said and done they basically stated I would have to build a bridge with two-way access for about 450 feet. The cost was absurd.

Latest posts

Top Bottom