Reasonable Regulations Needed for Second Amendment

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone up for writing a letter to the editor of the Daily Oklahoman to refute this one? I would but they don't allow you to submit letters to the editor more often than every 28 days.

In the aftermath of the Newtown, Conn., tragedy, the nation's conversation turned to meaningful, common-sense gun laws. It's a conversation whose time has come. The status quo is no longer acceptable. The time is right for common-sense measures such as reinstating the assault weapons ban, closing gun show loopholes and banning the sale or transfer of high-capacity magazines. Just as our freedom of speech is subject to reasonable regulations, so too is the Second Amendment as affirmed by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2008.

As President Obama said, “If there's even one step we can take to save one child or one parent ... then surely we have an obligation to try.” If we fulfill that obligation, then 20 precious children, six brave educators and other innocent victims of senseless gun violence will not have died in vain.
http://newsok.com/reasonable-regulations-needed-for-second-amendment/article/3736365

My advice is to be respectful and logical. The undecided readers are the one we want to influence, We need to come across as reasonable citizens who are concerned about liberty and not as selfish gun nuts afraid someone won't let us have our toys.

Here's where and how to submit a letter to the editor: http://newsok.com/lettertotheeditor If you want some review before you submit your letter, post it here and I'm sure you'll receive some good comments.

Ruger76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No matter what you do you can't stop crazy and if one mass shooting happens after they pass some crazy legislation everything they tried was all for not.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would, but you are correct about the need for calm and respect. If you need some righteous anger I'll just be over here...

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have facebook, but here is my response:
"
But all the things being suggested in the article HAVE ALREADY BEEN TRIED and did not work. And what if the ban on some weapons in the hand of law abiding citizens leads to MORE lives being lost? You know, because good people on the scene are outgunned by the bad guys?
"

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posted this as a reply. IDK how many people will actually see this but whatever.

The problem is that gun control does nothing to make either the general public or our schools safer. The first AWB proved ineffectual at preventing gun crime as noted by the National Institute of Justice and the CDC. The truth is that cosmetic and magazine restrictions have no effectiveness in preventing or mitigating mass shootings. Just look at Cho in the VT shooting that killed 32. He used a handgun with only a 15 round magazine and was able to continue his spree by having multiple magazines. A 10 round magazine restriction would have had minimal impact compared to having met Cho with armed resistance if his school had not been a "gun free zone". We do need to do something to make our schools safer but another AWB is nothing but an emotional, feel good measure that does absolutely nothing to prevent or mitigate a future massacre. We should instead focus on measures that actually have an impact like hardened doors and full time armed security. Focusing on restricting millions of law abiding American's rights while ignoring any measures that have actual effectiveness at security is disturbing and dishonest. We can do better than this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom