Recipe for 180gr Lead .40S&W

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whitey
From the newest Winchester load book I have(Jan 09) It lists a 180 gr XTP bullet at a max load of 4.3 WST. Lists velocity at 888 fps and 32,400 psi. Keep in mind this is the MAX load listed.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't see mention of the brand of lead bullet you are using. Often, the projectile manufacturer will have suggested loads. I seem to remember reading that lead and jacketed loads aren't interchangeable.

Its a subscription service (about the cost of a reloading manual) but I like www.loaddata.com. You can search thousands of published loads by caliber, projectile, powder, etc and if you can't find what you're looking for they will find it for you.

Happy reloading!

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see mention of the brand of lead bullet you are using. Often, the projectile manufacturer will have suggested loads. I seem to remember reading that lead and jacketed loads aren't interchangeable.

Its a subscription service (about the cost of a reloading manual) but I like www.loaddata.com. You can search thousands of published loads by caliber, projectile, powder, etc and if you can't find what you're looking for they will find it for you.

Happy reloading!

Local shop, J&K. The load GC listed works, but I have some issues to work out shooting it through a KKM barrel. Chamber is too tight on all 16 test rounds I made. Came back home and fired 2 rounds (1 through factory barrel, one through KKM) and reloaded to see if the G-Rx die isnt pulling out the bulge, and strangely both rounds chambered like butter. Based on that, I am guessing its a brass issue.

Anyone know if the brass hornady uses it thinner walled?

buck45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just run every case thru a Redding G-Rx Push Thru Base Sizing Die and it's a moot point. A little pricey at around $50 MSRP but worth every penny to feed my tight chambered Tanfoglio Limited Match 40.

Latest posts

Top Bottom