Recipe for Varmint .223 AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done some research using the 'search' function here and other sites and have gotten some good information, but not quite what I'm looking for. I have an AR-15, 20", .223, 1:8 twist. I'm trying to develop a good load for it. So far I've tried A2520 and Varget under Hornady 68gr Match HPBT and Sierra Matchking 69gr HPBT. My Dillon 550B seems to hate the Hornady's especially with Varget. It seems that since the bullet is longer and skinnier on some rounds I was creating a ring on the bullet trying to get it below 2.260".

I've tested both rounds with both powders varying from 24.5 gr to 25.9. My rifle seems to like 25.0 Varget under the Sierra bullet the best coming in just under 3/4" at 100 yards with 4 of 5 rounds (one was a flyer that was my fault) with an average velocity of 2756 fps. The problem is that I hate using Varget! It doesn't meter worth a S*&t in my progressive, 26 grains fills the case to the top, among other things. Plus I'm concerned with maintaining accuracy with the velocity being that low when I start shooting longer distances.

I've been looking at Benchmark or possibly H322. Any suggestions? Thanks.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am still using IMR 4895 with a Nosler Ballistic Tip, so I can't help you out. Now, if I ever get a progressive press I will have to find me a ball powder so it will meter without causing problems.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22.5 gr H 335 with a standard small rifle primer works well for 68 grain bullets in my 1in9 twist barrels. I haven't done much with the heavier bullets as I don't have anything with the correct rate of twist to stabilize anything heavier than that. Might give you a starting point for comparison. I really like Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2015 for the .204 ruger and 223 stuff I load. nothing heavier than 68 grain bullets for me though in 223 and nothing heavier than 40 grain in .204. Good luck on your quest. Blitzfike

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not like the 322. It smells and seemed dirtier then I liked.

Benchmark is probably my favorite powder in 223 (I shoot it out of a Savage VLP. My father in law swears by the nosler 50 Gr. Ballistic tip but I prefer the 55Gr version under 24 Gr of Benchmark. At 100 yards I get very bored hitting bullet holes. 25 Gr. of powder was not as accurate for me.

Oh yea,... My 650 meters Benchmark just fine

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It looks like I'll be able to get my hands on a little H322 to try. Maybe I'll go ahead and pick up 1# of Benchmark and give it a go. If it will do what the Varget does with 25.0 and meters better, I'll be very happy.

:thanku:

Just gotta wait until after Nationals to pull the rifles out again.

kansas45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try some BL-C(2). Works great in my 1-7 twist 20".
24.5-26.5 gr with your 68-69 gr bullets. Extruded powders like Varget & 4895 suck in a progressive when loading something with a small neck like the .223.

GunJunkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the BLC-2 meters very well. I have loaded some benchmark test loads up but i have not had a chance to get to the range with them yet. I hear TAC ia supposed to be a great 223 powder but have yet to give it a try.

idleclamp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the BLC-2 meters very well. I have loaded some benchmark test loads up but i have not had a chance to get to the range with them yet. I hear TAC ia supposed to be a great 223 powder but have yet to give it a try.

Please let me know how the Benchmark works out for you and the specifics of what you're shooting it out of.

Latest posts

Top Bottom