Recoil lug

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a used Savage 110 (.30-06) rebarreled with a Savage .308 10FP takeoff. Do you think buying an aftermarket recoil lug is worth it? I'm getting a new one...but am trying to decide if a thicker recoil lug worth the extra $20. It will be sitting in a B&C. Thoughts?

The action isn't getting blueprinted or anything like that. I'm seeing what kind of shooter I can put together on the cheap. Should be interesting...

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
not a rifle guy, but will a long action 110 savage feed a 308, which I think is a short action receiver when in a savage?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
not a rifle guy, but will a long action 110 savage feed a 308, which I think is a short action receiver when in a savage?

Correct, but Savage actions are very modular. The bolt faces for the two calibers are the same size, so the only thing that needs to be changed for the rifle to fire is the barrel.

I may have to do some modification to the magazine.

In fact, the Army's M24 is a long action .308...

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why on earth would you need a thicker recoil lug? you can't cram enough bullseye in a case to bend the factory one.
As for 308's in a long action, to feed reliably you will need to modify the magwell with a spacer and buy a short action mag spring and follower---That's why they sell a short action!!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Mauser long action VZ24 in 7mm-08, and it feeds fine as long as you don't lolligag when cycling the bolt. Don't know how the Savage action would work, but I have to run the bolt forward pretty briskly to reliable feed the rounds.

As for the recoil lug, I'm clueless.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why on earth would you need a thicker recoil lug? you can't cram enough bullseye in a case to bend the factory one.
As for 308's in a long action, to feed reliably you will need to modify the magwell with a spacer and buy a short action mag spring and follower---That's why they sell a short action!!

I was just curious what the deal was. I understand what it is SUPPOSED to do, but don't know if it's worth the extra coin. Some people advertise their ticker recoil lug as a "must have" for rebarreled rifles, but wasn't sure if it is necessary in my case (10FP takeoff on a cheapy old Accutrigger 110). If an aftermarket lug will reduce my groups by even an eight of a minute I'm all over it.

I have a Mauser long action VZ24 in 7mm-08, and it feeds fine as long as you don't lolligag when cycling the bolt. Don't know how the Savage action would work, but I have to run the bolt forward pretty briskly to reliable feed the rounds.

As for the recoil lug, I'm clueless.

All my research has told me it isn't an issue worth worrying about.

You don't need a thicker recoil lug nearly as much as you need a shorter action.

-JP

Why?? I was looking for an explanation more than an answer. Don't say because it won't be "right."

I think I'll keep w/ a factory lug. It's a zombie build by all means (i.e.: you'd laugh if I told you how much I'll have in the rifle. If it shoots sub-MOA when I'm done I'll be happy.)

I could go pay cash for a new 700 LTR...but what's the fun in that? I want to see what a budget build can do. Have you seen sniper central's 800 dollar build? I want to one-up them and I think it's completely do-able.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what you have said I would not get the big recoil lug.
I think a "proper" bedding job will be of much more importance than the big recoil lug..
Steve ( Mechanical Accuracy) can bed it for you or you can do it yourself.
Its not that hard and there are lots of guys here and on other sights that will be gald to help. Myself included.
I would not worry to much about the long action it should work fine, and depending on the chamber and twist it might let you seat the bullets out longer..

Good luck and let us know how it works out...

Rocketguns

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rebarreled my 110E from a .30-06 to a .338-06 and I did not need the thicker recoil lug. I do agree that you are going to have issues concerning the short vs long action. Other than that go for it and let us know how it works for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom